New to me Walker M-42 issues, governor? With video!

Hscott3417

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, I recently got a project Walker MSSD (M-42) not sure how they are to be referenced. The serial is 94 16774. It is in pretty good shape, and all components look to have aged well. The 11hp Briggs did not start when I got it, it did turn over and had recently run, but the guys kid fiddled with it and didn't know what he was doing. I have spent the last few days giving it a good once over, changed the fluids, greased everything, etc.

I have found that some of the trouble with the motor was due to simple fixes, like actually attaching the choke cable to the frame, and putting the screw in the throttle plate, and over tightening the starter lead.

Now I have it able to run, based on all initial factory carb screw settings, and what I think is the proper governor setting. I cleaned the carb, but did not rebuild it. The previous owner said it was surging bad, and I am not 100% sure the connections from the governor arm to the throttle, and to the throttle bracket are correct. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Here is the video of what it is doing. At this point the throttle slide was maybe at 1/3, and the choke was 1/3 to 2/3 as well.

https://youtu.be/a4L77OsRy2Q

Tinkerer200

Threads
Well I did not run your video but I can send you a Service Manual for you engine if you don't have one and want one. Address below put in proper format and remind me what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

PS: Some have found that running SeaFoam per instructions clear up surging problem.

Dangermoos

Forum Newbie
Threads
That engine has an issue with the carb throat butterfly coming loose and shifting which mimics a poor governor. Check by loosening the two screws on the rod/lever that the baffle attaches to and try to wiggle it to its proper spot and re-attach. when you find the sweet spot all of your problems should go away. When you hit the spot you may want to use a thread locker type of drops to keep those tiny screws in place. You might want to go to a dealer for this if you can't hit it. But I have confidence that you can do it!