RSD60 - broken transaxle mount bolt

kraky

Threads
An update sort of insinuates some sort of a factory sponsored program. It doesn't necessarily mean the factory hasn't changed the way they make that brace a little bit. It could still be made under the same part number or a new part number. And a real active dealer may know this has happened and one that isn't so active may not.

577jersey

Threads
Yeah we need good HD pics..I have a welder and fab skills so I could always beef up the crossbars if I had too,,so far I see no need,,mine are rock solid.
Im also only 180 pounds,,not sure how the mower would hold up with a big guy on it like 265 going up/down steep banks all day long,,prolly twist/break something sooner or later on any residential mower.

BEYTILL

Threads
Well, so far, ago good. 80hrs on the clock, 6'-5" and 380 in the seat. Nothing has loosened up so far and no problems.

577jersey

Threads
Well, so far, ago good. 80hrs on the clock, 6'-5" and 380 in the seat. Nothing has loosened up so far and no problems.
Well thats a good report for this RSD :)

Stingray69

Threads
I also had the bolt problem with my 54" RSD. The bolts came loose and the bracket broke that connects the Hydros at the bottom. The dealer ordered me a new bracket and I replaced the bolts as described above with grade 8s. I jam nutted them as well as using loctite and nylocks. When the bracket came in I installed it myself. Before installing, I cut a piece of 3/8" ID aircraft tubing and placed it between the tabs on the bracket. I then used a grade 8 piece of all thread to go through both hydros the tabs on the bracket and the tubing. This keeps the hydros from pulling on the tabs and the all thread carries the load. It is also jam nutted the same as the other bolts. I have put 125 hours on it since the mod with nothing loosening back up.

Overall coming up on 300 hours it has been a good mower for $3600. I can't believe all the negativity on this forum when people are looking for constructive solutions to their problems. We get it, you love your $3k Toro. I have had minor problems with just about every new thing I have owned. My Chevy truck broke exaust manifold bolts two times under warranty. Once the warranty expired I replaced them with stainless bolts and never had a problem. I then shared the info on a forum to help others. Isn't this the idea of forums? Or is it to praise you own equipment and hate on others?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is also here to help people to not make a purchase of bad equipment. Sometime we go overboard it that pursuit but that is just how it goes at times. As you can see I have a Husqvarna I paid $3000 for and I have never had to replace or retighten a single bolt. The only problems I have ever had with the unit was by my own hand. Like running into a fence post at full speed and bending the deck mounting bracket. So when others buy a product that cost more than mine and they brag about how good it is and it has all these problems it is hard to not correct them. I even saw on here someone bent the front fork taping a pole(I think) at low speed. That is not a well made part compared to mine. I have hit many things with my front fork at a high rate of speed and never bent one. So should we not let others know to not buy something if we think it is not well made?

Stingray69

Threads
I am sure there are spots on the forum to give advice to people wanting to know which unit to buy. A lot of people look for others personal experience with a product before they spend their cash, that's smart. The spot for that is NOT in the middle of a brand specific forum where people are looking to others for advice to resolve their problem with a model they already bought. I am sure there are people that have had problems with just about every brand of mower out there.

Guess it just comes down to helping others or bashing other's purchases. I like helping people!

577jersey

Threads
Big thumbs up!!!!
Like I said earlier,i just double lock nutted all my hydro hardware and never had a problem with them coming loose again,i run that hustler up and down some major banks,so steep you cant hold them sideways..my pump belt was missing a few ribs at the end of the season,that understandable for all the abuse i put the machine through every week commercially.
Great mower and i would buy another one for sure!!!IMO the less expensive toro with the EZT pumps would not hold up to the torture I put this mower through...Im sure its fine on flat ground though.

577jersey

Threads
I also had the bolt problem with my 54" RSD. The bolts came loose and the bracket broke that connects the Hydros at the bottom. The dealer ordered me a new bracket and I replaced the bolts as described above with grade 8s. I jam nutted them as well as using loctite and nylocks. When the bracket came in I installed it myself. Before installing, I cut a piece of 3/8" ID aircraft tubing and placed it between the tabs on the bracket. I then used a grade 8 piece of all thread to go through both hydros the tabs on the bracket and the tubing. This keeps the hydros from pulling on the tabs and the all thread carries the load. It is also jam nutted the same as the other bolts. I have put 125 hours on it since the mod with nothing loosening back up.

Overall coming up on 300 hours it has been a good mower for $3600. I can't believe all the negativity on this forum when people are looking for constructive solutions to their problems. We get it, you love your $3k Toro. I have had minor problems with just about every new thing I have owned. My Chevy truck broke exaust manifold bolts two times under warranty. Once the warranty expired I replaced them with stainless bolts and never had a problem. I then shared the info on a forum to help others. Isn't this the idea of forums? Or is it to praise you own equipment and hate on others?
After my kawi finally blows up I may snap a Predator engine on my Hustler just for fun..would be a great back up!
Funny thing is the kawi might last longer than the rest of the mower..lol