Husqvarna YTH24V48

deminin

Threads
One of the neighbors bought a nice Zero Turn this past week, and he has a 2 yr. old Husqvarna YTH24V48 with only about 40 hours on it. He said he would like to sell the Husq, and quoted me a really good price. The Husq is in really nice shape, with virtually no signs of wear and tear, and seems to run real good. About the only thing it might need is a set of blades. Being a bit of a skeptic, this almost sounds too good to be true, so I thought I'd ask others on this forum if they have had any experiences with this particular model, and see if there are any issues that I should be aware of, before I commit. Thanks, in advance.....

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is a very good mower. I have 3 of them. One I use for cutting next to the fence around my pasture. Most times it's about a foot high.
As far as riding mowers go I think this is at the top.
How much is he asking for it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only major problem specific to this mower ( and the same styles from the AYP factory ) is the clutch brake lever.
At rest it sits against the frame rail ( under the mower ).
This section must be kept clean as crud will build up and get stuck under the lever which will prevent the clutch fully engaging or the brake fully releasing depending upon who well it is adjusted.
Over time the pedal starts moving higher & higher as the pad of crud gets thicker.
This gets magnified 10 times if you mulch rather than throw or bag.

Another thing that causes grief is the spindle housings are prone to fracture if given a shock loading like running up a gutter, hitting a big rock / log / root etc.
Again happens to everything fitted with that housings.

Finally the deck height / engagement lever is prone to fracture down the bottom near the latch.
Again affects everything out of the AYP factory.

The closest glass front is a husky dealer so I have a ton of them in my service run all the owners are happy with them.

deminin

Threads
Thanks for the tips, and reviews of this mower. I've looked at the reviews on the Lowe's site, and it seems that the majority of people are pleased with this mower. I'm going to get with the neighbor over the weekend, and unless I find a potential problem, I may just own this mower by next week. He wants $1400 for it...which seems fair...a new one from Lowe's, with sales tax, etc., would be about $2200.

deminin

Threads
Bought it!!! We settled on $1300, and this thing looks and runs like almost new. The oil looks good and clean, but I will probably change the oil and filter, just to be on the safe side. It's supposed to rain for the next couple of days, so I will get a chance to give it a good workout the early part of this coming week....I usually mow almost 2 acres. I've been mowing all this with a Snapper 33" rider, so this will probably cut my mowing time in half. One of the other neighbors fixes up old mowers, so I will give him the old Snapper, and if he can spruce it up a bit, he can make a few bucks for himself.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get the manual from www.Husqvarna.com and lub and white lithium grease everything in the manual. This is very important. Ignore the hour that they say you should do it at and do it 2 or 3 times a year. Do it way more often then they say.

deminin

Threads
Get the manual from www.Husqvarna.com and lub and white lithium grease everything in the manual. This is very important. Ignore the hour that they say you should do it at and do it 2 or 3 times a year. Do it way more often then they say.

Yup, I've downloaded the operators and parts manuals, and will print them off over the weekend. I'm also going to look for a factory shop manual, if such is available online. I have been fixing things all my life...cars, appliances, computers...you name it, and if there is any way I can fix it myself I will do so. I take the "recommended" maintenance as a general guideline, and usually do it well in advance of the manufacturers suggestions. I'm a firm believer in Preventative Maintenance.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yup, I've downloaded the operators and parts manuals, and will print them off over the weekend. I'm also going to look for a factory shop manual, if such is available online. I have been fixing things all my life...cars, appliances, computers...you name it, and if there is any way I can fix it myself I will do so. I take the "recommended" maintenance as a general guideline, and usually do it well in advance of the manufacturers suggestions. I'm a firm believer in Preventative Maintenance.
You are a wise man.

deminin

Threads
I gave this Husqvarna a real good cleanup today, and lubed everything, changed the oil, and replaced the oil and air filters. Afterwards, I fired it up and ran it around the yard for about 45 minutes, and everything seems to be working great.

I did find One problem...a minor issue. The seat is a bit too far forward for my liking, and it appears that it should be adjustable. I found nothing in the Ops Manual, but there are 3 bolts, with big washers, under the seat, fastened into plastic retainers, which are mounted in slots on the bottom of the seat. Logically, I should be able to loosen the bolts, and slide the seat forward or back. I loosened, and even removed the bolts, but the seat appears to be stuck....I gave it several good nudges, but it refuses to move. Sooo....before I break anything, I think I should ask if anyone has any tips of getting this seat to move.

Thanks in advance.....

deminin

Threads
I gave this Husqvarna a real good cleanup today, and lubed everything, changed the oil, and replaced the oil and air filters. Afterwards, I fired it up and ran it around the yard for about 45 minutes, and everything seems to be working great.

I did find One problem...a minor issue. The seat is a bit too far forward for my liking, and it appears that it should be adjustable. I found nothing in the Ops Manual, but there are 3 bolts, with big washers, under the seat, fastened into plastic retainers, which are mounted in slots on the bottom of the seat. Logically, I should be able to loosen the bolts, and slide the seat forward or back. I loosened, and even removed the bolts, but the seat appears to be stuck....I gave it several good nudges, but it refuses to move. Sooo....before I break anything, I think I should ask if anyone has any tips of getting this seat to move.

Thanks in advance.....

Never Mind....Dummee ME! I took a look at the IPL for the seat asm, and "Behold"...there is a seat adjustment lever. How I missed that is beyond me....guess I was too wrapped up in looking at other stuff. I went back out to the shed, tipped the seat forward, and "found" the lever. I sat in the seat, popped the lever, and moved it back right where I wanted it....Problem solved. If this is the biggest problem I find, I have it made.