John Deere X495 PTO Issue

GtownPaul

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dear LawnWorld members,
Last summer I bought a used JD X495 Mower with about 700 hours on it.
It is a beautiful machine, but I have had problems with it overheating.
I have been advised to blow out the radiator after every use and I generally do that.
But twice now, the PTO has cut out while in use and refused to come back on.
The first time, a dealer fixed it and it cost $700.
I don't want to pay that much for a repair again, and am hoping to learn to do something more affordable myself.
Can anyone please help me?
Thank you in advance.
GtownPaul.

As further background,
One session of mowing is around 2 or 3 hours for me.
The last time it cut out, we were about one hour into the job.
The dash has a temp needle on it, but no numbers - just ranges.
I don't completely trust this temp guage, as it changes instantly when I do things like turn on the lights.

Now, with the key in the run position, and me in the seat, when I pull the PTO switch, there is no "click" of a solenoid.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unplug the connector down by the PTO clutch. With a multimeter check to see if you have 12V on this connector, with both the ignition key and the PTO switch in the ON position. If you have no voltage, I suspect a bad PTO switch. If you have 12V, I suspect a bad clutch. Both can be replaced by someone with an average mechanical skills. This would save you the labor costs. If I may ask, what did the work order say they did the last time to fix the problem? $700 to replaced both the clutch and switch seems a little high to me.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dear LawnWorld members,
Last summer I bought a used JD X495 Mower with about 700 hours on it.
It is a beautiful machine, but I have had problems with it overheating.
I have been advised to blow out the radiator after every use and I generally do that.
But twice now, the PTO has cut out while in use and refused to come back on.
The first time, a dealer fixed it and it cost $700.
I don't want to pay that much for a repair again, and am hoping to learn to do something more affordable myself.
Can anyone please help me?
Thank you in advance.
GtownPaul.

As further background,
One session of mowing is around 2 or 3 hours for me.
The last time it cut out, we were about one hour into the job.
The dash has a temp needle on it, but no numbers - just ranges.
I don't completely trust this temp guage, as it changes instantly when I do things like turn on the lights.

Now, with the key in the run position, and me in the seat, when I pull the PTO switch, there is no "click" of a solenoid.
The PTO clutch pulls a fair amount of current...which increases if your voltage is dropping. Check your battery voltage off and with the engine running and charging.

Make sure your connector is clean and tight.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

I'm going to move this thread on over to the John Deere section so we can keep it going.

FURRY

Forum Newbie
Threads
I OWN A X495 AND EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE PTO SHUTTING DOWN AFTER CUTTING GRASS FOR PROBABLY 20-30 MINUTES. I FOUND THAT ENABLING THE HYDROLOC RADIATOR WHICH IS MOUNTED TO THE MOTOR COOLANT RADIIATOR AND CLEANING OUT BETWEEN THE TWO RADIATORS WILL RESOLE MY PROBLEM WHEN IT OCCURS. I JUST PULL THE HYDROLIC RADIATOR A LITTLE AWAY FROM THE OTHER RADIATOR ENOUGH TO CLEAN IT(BUT I ENDERD UP GETTING HELP FROM MY GRANDSON AS HE IS MORE HAND AGILE AND I'M 82 YRS OLD) I HOPE TYHAT HELPS!