Brand new HRR216 possible problem

Tom7

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just received a brand new HRR216K9VKA. I have not used it yet. Without starting it or even engaging the smart drive. I noticed I could not pull it backwards without some effort. The rear wheels would turn, but not very freely. Pushing forwards, the wheels do turn freely.

Is this normal? I was under the assumption that as long as the smart drive is not engaged, it would behave like any non powered mover as far as pushing forward or backward.

As it stands now, I'm afraid to use it thinking I might damage something.

Please help....my lawn needs mowed...:)

primerbulb120

Threads
What you're experiencing is normal (read the explanation in the thread Mark posted earlier.) But be warned that the Teflon axle shaft bushings will eventually seize up and the mower will not roll backwards at all. Mine did this after 1 month of use, but I use it commercially so it gets a lot more use every month than yours will. I replaced the Teflon bushings with metal ones and haven't had a problem since. Other users of this mower have had the same exact problem, but it usually happens much later (around 1 year of residential use.)

IMO the Honda HRR216 is an outstanding mower overall, but it has two main faults:

1. Bushings instead of bearings on the transmission shaft
2. Cut quality (On my mower, I fixed this by replacing the MicroCut twin blades with an Oregon G6 Gator blade.)

Fix these two issues and you'll have one of the best 21" mowers ever.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads

^^^^^^^This ^^^^^

28818330036_d8701fa5b7_o.png

Tom7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks all for the replies....:)

This seems to be exactly whats going on. I did do the pull back force test and it was just shy of 13 lbs. Apparently all is as it should be.

It's a shame this is not noted in the manual about the difference in resistance from pushing forward vs backward. Apparently I'm not the first one that was concerned by this.

Again thanks all, I'm gonna go mow my yard now....

Tom7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all...

Since I got some very good information from this forum, I thought I would give you my first impression after my first use. Granted this is just an average guy who just wants/needs to mow his lawn.

I am 65 years old, and this is my 4th lawnmower. The first two were the cheapest I could find and were side discharge. To be honest both were fine though you always had that line of grass clippings from the side discharge. Both lasted about 10 years.

My 3rd mower, I bought a mulching type. I wanted to get rid of that line of grass. It was a Weed Eater with a Briggs & Stratton engine. It wasn't the cheapest but was below 150$. I have to say I loved that mower. No more lines of grass. The best thing as far as the mulching part....when fall came and all the leaves, I just mowed them....no more raking. Why anyone still rakes leaves is beyond me. Even with a big pile just raise the front and do a little at a time.

This Weed Eater lasted a good 15 years. It may have well lasted longer but I was vary lax when it came to proper fuel management. In other words, I used no stabilizer, even used fuel from the prior year. This thing started first pull even at sitting over the winter months. Up until the last year or two did I start to have problems.

As I am 65. While the Weed Eater is still working, I was finding it was about all I could handle to mow my yard, especially when its really hot.. It was time to get a self propelled.

I have owned 4 Honda automobiles. I never had to take one back to the dealership. So obviously I'm high on the Honda name. That's why I sprung for the extra bucks for a Honda self propelled mower that by the very nature has more moving parts that can go wrong. I sure there may be other brands of mowers that are just as good, maybe even better, but I knew Honda.

OK....Wow I kind of rambled on there...:)

I have to say after the first mowing. I'm very pleased. It started on first pull. I first played with the smart drive on my drive way. The speed control was very intuitive and easy to learn. This thing will go much faster than I would care to go. But as said, its very easy to control so no problem there. Since my grass got a little taller than usual....was waiting for replies to say it was ok.....LoL... I thought it was good test. It did well. I will say part of my yard has Zoysia grass. This grass gets so thick, it feels like plush carpet after a fresh mow. While the grass was not wet, it was full of moisture since we have had a lot of rain lately. The grass was about 6" high, was cutting at about 3" and mulching. So it did bog down a bit. I just slowed down and it went right through it.

If this mower last as long as my other mowers...( and I promise I will treat it better than my others..) this is a keeper.

Sorry this was longer than intended, but maybe a few might find it interesting....cheers..