mower leaving random uncut sprigs of grass

cadronboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a newly sharpened blade on a push mower for my Bermuda grass. Every 3-6 feet its leaving single strands of (6-8") long runners uncut pulled high above the cut grass. Any idea what is causing these sprigs to not get cut? Its unsightly and even a tripping hazard for my toddlers.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum...
Is the blade mounted upside down?
it happens... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've got a newly sharpened blade on a push mower for my Bermuda grass. Every 3-6 feet its leaving single strands of (6-8") long runners uncut pulled high above the cut grass. Any idea what is causing these sprigs to not get cut? Its unsightly and even a tripping hazard for my toddlers.

I have found if you let grass get high enough, the front edge of the mower deck will bend the grass over and depending on the speed of your push mower, grass may not be cut as short in some areas. Not sure if yours is a self propelled or not, but try going over the tall stuff very slowly and at maximum cutting height to see what happens. Although KennyV suggests your blade may be upside down, I think you would see a lot more uncut grass if that were the case.

yoster

Threads
I've also noticed, that if your gas is a bit damp, the wheels of the mower can push down the grass and the grass won't 'rebound' up fast enough in order to get cut. The more damp the grass is, the worse the scenario. Yeah, I know, we shouldn't cut damp or wet grass, but it happens right!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've got a newly sharpened blade on a push mower for my Bermuda grass. Every 3-6 feet its leaving single strands of (6-8") long runners uncut pulled high above the cut grass. Any idea what is causing these sprigs to not get cut?

Hope you are still with us...
There are some that don't have Bermuda grass and will not realize what you are referring to... It is not the blades of grass that your talking about, buy rather the runners, that root in and have green grass on them...
The only time I have seen these get pulled loose are when you drag something over it... When it is caught it will pull up the runner... If you have a worn skid or a bad anti scalping wheel... or the blade installed up side down... Post back with what you find...
I love Bermuda grass and have a lot of it... Hope you get yours in check. :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Can I ask, just out of curiosity what type of mower you have??

grumpyrv

Forum Newbie
Threads
do you mean Bayaha grass.. it has a tall seed stem with 3 seed branches on the end.. I've found no way to correct this other than mow before they get tall

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads

Those toddlers are going to be in for a real shock when they hit the real world......