Help with Generac generator please - carb issues?

wizardknight

Forum Newbie
Threads
Help with Generac generator please - carb fixed now spark issues?

I inherited a generac 5000w generator model 09856-0. It has a briggs and stratton engine Model 19G412 Type 0129 01 Code 9511021A. Carb marked walbro 5-4993

The generator has not been ran in years, and would not start. I first swapped the plug, fuel, and air filters. Then I cleaned the carb with a can of cleaner. I found a lot of rust gunk in the bottom of the bowl. Everything looked very clean when I put it back together. When I tried to start it after a few pulls I got one little puff of smoke, and noticed fuel coming out the front of the carb air-filter side. I pulled the carb back off, cleaned it again thinking maybe I missed something. I put it back together with no fuel leaking I could see this time. I managed to get one puff of smoke again. I pulled the spark plug and found it wet. I then changed the oil, and found lots of gas in it. I am guessing the fuel went into the system rather than leaking out the front after the second clean.

I have never done a carb rebuild, and from what I am reading it looks like I should suspect the float, or the needle. The float does not have fuel in it, and seems air tight. It moves easily on the pin holding it in place. Due to lack of experience I do not know what a bad needle looks like, but this one has a rubberish tip that seems to have a little bit of a point and is orange in color.

I did reuse the gaskets, and they are not in the best shape in the world. I though they would be good enough for testing the unit. As far as I know a small air leak wouldn't cause this kind of fuel dump into the system, right?

I am between jobs right now so I am trying to avoid dumping a lot of money into this generator. Otherwise I would just buy a new carb for it.

I can get pics if someone tells me in simple terms what they want to see.

O'keepers of the wisdom, please tell me where I am screwing up so bad. :tongue:

Thanks.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello and WELCOME to LMF...

Go to this site... Small Engine Equipment Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety
Scroll down a little , you will see B&S engine carbs and in that group you should see your Weabro ...
It will give you all the Dis-assembly, reassembly you need...
Take your time, you will get it... :smile:KennyV

wizardknight

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the link KennyV. Looking at those pics I would say the needle is in ok condition. I pulled the carb, and cleaned it a third time paying super extra attention to anything near the float. I put it back together, and I am not seeing any gas out the front. I checked the oil, and didn't smell lots of gas there. As well it still seemed the correct thickness.
After a few pulls the plug was wet, but not soaked. I think the carb may be behaving now.

Next issue.
It did not start still so I pulled the plug and sat it on top (connected to the plug wire) while pull starting. I didn't see a spark.
I did check inside the boot for gunk or corrosion, but didn't see any.
I tried the kill switch in both directions with no change. Before I tear into that I would love some advice for troubleshooting a no spark issue.

Thanks again.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Start at that kill switch... It could be bad, disconnect the wires and see if you have spark at the plug... :smile:KennyV

I know you said you changed the plug... if you still have the old one... try it. I have seen bad 'new' plugs...

wizardknight

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pulled the cover and wires, no spark. Pulled the coil, and checked with a multimeter. Got a complete circuit. Polished off the little bit of rust near the bolt points, and was able to get a spark with no wires. :smile:

There are two wires coming Ying off the same point on the coil. One goes to the kill switch, the other goes to a bolt near the throttle. Oddly it looks like a ground, but there has to be something else going on. With the second wire going to the bolt attached I get no spark. Any idea what that other wire might be for?

Goes from the back of the coil into this bolt->

IMAG0023.jpg

Through the plastic and then to this on the far side.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h332/WizardKnight/gen/IMAG0024.jpg

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
There are some engines that have a kill position on the throttle linkage... will not need that on a generator, isolate that lead and use your kill switch to stop it...

Couldn't make out what bolt at the carb... you camera focused on the drive and the tree in the background...
put it togrther and see if it still generates electricity... :smile:KennyV

wizardknight

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is a little better pic. It's a crappy cell phone. Maybe when I get this working I can sell it for money to get a new camera. ;)
IMAG0028.jpg

wizardknight

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well we have great news. 1st pull back fire, 2nd pull started right up. I have never had a small engine start that easily. :biggrin:
After that it starts on the first pull. Less than a pull to be honest.
I am seeing 127.1 to 127.3 volts on the 110 circuit. I will have to see if it dips when a load is put on it later. It looks the the magnets are good in the generator side. :)

Thank you for your help getting this started. It did feel good to see it kick over after fighting with it for a few days.

The perfectionist side of me hates that now unused kill wire just hanging there. Based upon your statement I guess it is to shut down a runaway engine. Anything you could tell me to look at for maybe getting that part up and going too? I know we don't 'need' it, but some how it would round out this project nicely.

Another question. How important is it to replace the gaskets between the carb and engine? These have seen better days, but they seem to be working ok.

For someone who has not done anything more than change a spark plug I am quite happy with the outcome, and would like to thank KennyV for his help :thumbsup:.

I now have enough knowledge to be dangerous. Wahhaahhaaa...

Last edited: