Trouble Removing Riding Lawnmower Blades

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
the standard blade nut torque is 80 ft/lb when you add grass clipping and rust i have had to heat the nut with a cutting torch and then remove nut with a 450 ft lb impact wrench because my 250 still wouldn't touch it. the blade sits on a star mount and will not twist if hit with a hammer. i don't even try my 250 impact wrench on mtd blades anymore because it is not bid enough to remove the nuts from those decks. most mtd blade nuts are 15/16 not 1 inch. you can also try wire brushing the nut and the exposed thread area at the bottom of the nut. that my help.

most mtd blade nuts are 15/16 not 1 inch
4_12_1.gif All my MTD blades nuts are 1 1/8" except one and it's a 9 1/2" blade bolt not a blade nut and it's a 15//16.

benski

Threads
One other thing I'll add tothis taxing topic is after I slobber anti-sieze on the threads and gently tighten things up, (80 lbs.ft really isn't a ton of torque) I'll slobber some more anti-sieze on the nut and end of the spindle. It seems to slow down the "grass welding" that goes on underneath until the next blade sharpening.:biggrin::wink::cool:

judgecrater

Forum Newbie
Threads
You will need to remove the blades many times over the life of the mower. Get an inexpensive electric impact wrench at Harbor Freight. You will never touch your breaker bar again.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will need to remove the blades many times over the life of the mower. Get an inexpensive electric impact wrench at Harbor Freight. You will never touch your breaker bar again.

Just last week had to break out the 40 inch 3/4 drive breaker bar because my 425 impact wouldn't remove the blades on my mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just last week had to break out the 40 inch 3/4 drive breaker bar because my 425 impact wouldn't remove the blades on my mower.

Yep.
I bought a hydraulic nut splitter cause I go a couple of customers who never ever remove their blades then bring the mowers in to me when they are worn 2" short.
Gave up trying to undo them.
Split the nuts on one & cut the heads off the bolt on the other.
And I have a 1" impact ( well I can borrow it ) that the landlord uses on the tractors that sit out in the paddock in the weather all year round.
Even that, running off a jack hammer compressor had problems removing them.
So it is chop off , fit new fasteners & charge accordingly.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Worked with a guy years ago that owned a Ferris, and it was the type were the blade bolt went up through the center of the spindle with the nut on top. We would put the nut on with our fingers and send it out the door, and about a month later it would come in for sharpening and we had to use the 1600 lb/ft 1 inch impact because the 900 lb/ft 3/4 drive would 't do it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep,
Took me a year of huffing, puffing, bending bars etc before I finally worked it out that a new bolt is $ 3.50 and I was spending $ 160 in time trying to save the bolt. ( slow learner )
It is about the only thing no one ever queries on their bill.