Trouble Removing Riding Lawnmower Blades

poncho62

Threads
Go to the local garage and get him to zip it off with the impact gun....Likely wont even charge you, or very little iff he does

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
A sledge is not a very good po boy impactor because of low velocity issues.

Try standing the deck on edge, shim the correct size socket to the nut with a piece of your favorite cereal box top and try a 2x4 about 3 ft. long giving it a Mickey Mantle swing.

Pictured is a pulley nut not the blade nut but the same procedure applies.

Attachments

• John Deere deck .JPG
    John Deere deck .JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 41
Threads
Go to the local garage and get him to zip it off with the impact gun....Likely wont even charge you, or very little iff he does

Thats what i would do as well..

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF! :smile:

I moved your thread to the General Mower Discussion Forum. Good luck!

Dameon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried WD40, Liquid Wrench, & PB Blaster. I also got hold of a torch and tried that. Nothing. I finally just tossed the deck into the back of my truck and went around to some garages. The local car-garage mechanic types didn't want to touch it for fear of the blade. Then, I ran into another guy who also does some of his own lawn mower repairs and he had a set of air tools! So, I took the deck over to his place and we were finally able to break the nuts free and get them off.

I changed the blades and applied some Anti-Seize, but I put the nuts back on manually with the socket wrench.

My thanks to those who responded!

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Glad you got them off ! :thumbsup:
Sometimes an impact wrench is the only way to get things free !

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
take a few pictures please

Gil

Threads
Don't keep us in suspense....did you get the blade/blades removed? Lot of good tips in replies. I had trouble getting blades off my ZeroTurn. Finally added a breaker bar to my 3/4 drive hinge handle. Breaker bar is a 36 inch pipe that just fits over the hinge handle. When re-installed used anti-seize compound on threads.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Go back and review the thread - He got them off :smile: -- I wondered for a while too.

cottom

Threads
Apply Rustbuster of some sort, wait a day, then get that 1/2 inch impact, with an proper size black impact socket out, and air do all the work. A impact while shake it loose where shear torque by hand will end up breaking something.

A Harbor Freight 1/2 inch impact is less than $30.