Excessive oil use

Coffield

Threads
I have a Husqvarna YTH2348 mower with a Model 440000 23 HP Intel engine.
The engine runs great with more then enough power but will use about 8 to 10 ounces of oil in about 1.5 hours of running time. The engine has about 145 psi on both cylinders and appears to be using only on the right cylinder also the oil is very black and you can change it and after an hour of use it is very black again.
Any options as to what my problem can be. Could it be a head gasket?

Thanks Ray

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you changing filter every time you change oil? Pull dipstick & smell for gas & above normal level? If so carburetor problem. Also adjust valves with engine cold per specs. in B&S engine manual. Post all engine numbers: model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx & code number.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...3521&oq=b&s 273521&aqs=chrome..69i57.9443j0j8 scroll down page to second PDF & download your engine repair manual at no charge.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would agree with you that you have a blown head gasket. Pull both plugs, if one is black, that is the cylinder I would be checking first.

Coffield

Threads
Yes the oil has been changed every 50 hours along with the filter.
The valves are adjusted to B&S spec. I pulled the right head today no evidence of a blowen gasket.
The right side is the cylinder that i have to keep changing plugs on.

Thanks for the input.
Thinking it is in the rings now.
Ray

Coffield

Threads
After repairing a few things today I mowed for about 90 minutes and the oil leave was down to the add mark.

Replaced both head gaskets and the crankcase vent.

Any ideas guys.