Trouble finding spindle parts (Model #33114S)

Psychlopath

Threads
So last night I found that I have a TON of slop in the blade spindle on a new-to-me mower. Enough slop that I couldn't finish mowing.

I haven't figured out if the whole spindle needs to be replaced but at this point, it doesn't matter as I can't find the part numbers for bearings, shafts or the whole unit.

I've checked diagrams on Jack's Small Engines and Parts Tree and can't find any portion of the spindle listed.

Repair Clinic has spindles listed, but at a price range from about $40 to over a hundred dollars and all of them are simply described as fitting "Snapper mower."

Anyone here have a better source of part numbers than what I've checked so far?

Pumper54

Threads
You might want to pull the spindle assembly off the deck, inspect it for bad bearings and or broken mounts and or bent spindle shaft and then see if you can replace the bearings in the spindle mount as they should be easy to punch out from the opposite end of the mount. Replacing the bearings with good ones from a bearing supply house and adding a grease fitting to the spindle assembly will make life much better.

Tom

Psychlopath

Threads
Thanks, I was hoping not to have to do that. The nearest bearing place I know of is quite a drive; I was hoping to get exact part numbers and maybe replace the whole thing to prevent any issues down the line. Even my local mower shop couldn't seem to find a part number for me, but said they will have their "Snapper guy," look into it when he comes in later this week.

Maybe they can find a set of bearings that will fit as they are just down the road and not such a drive.

As of now, my lawn is half mowed. Good thing I don't have an HOA! I, without having pulled the whole spindle housing out, I think the rod is broken some how...I thought it was an inch thick, but I can turn the pulley on top of the deck and the blade doesnt even try to move.

You'd think that I could pull straight out on the blade and remove the blade, blade mount and broken (maybe) portion of the spindle rod but it's in there good and not coming loose with just a yank.

By the time I get to doing all the maintenance on this mower that should have been done in the past years, I should have a whole new mower.

deminin

Threads
I did some searching, and I see your frustration. It appears that None of the online sites shows a PN for a spindle for this mower. The closest I found was a Spindle Housing on EBAY. It appears that this mower model is so old that no one stocks a spindle for it anymore. It looks like your only alternative is to take the spindle apart, and see if you can find some suitable parts...but if the spindle shaft is broken, you may be out of luck....although some of these sites do show a shaft asm. However, without a good PN, you might be lucky to find the exact replacement.

It might be time to consider a new mower.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I see it if you plan on fixing this yourself. You might want to pull the deck off the mower and rebuild it. A very good chance more is wrong then just spindle bearings and better to do it now instead of later. It has to come apart no matter what:frown:. When you pull out the old spindle bearings they will have a number on them. If you take this number to any local auto parts store they will be able to cross number and sell you the new bearing you will need. If that number is missing they can measure the old bearings and they should have a chart that will give them the part number. If you have a set of mikes you can measure the old bearings yourself and look up your own part numbers on the net. Myself I do this anytime I need a bearings and then order them on E-bay. Also from what you are saying it looks like you have more then a bearing problem and the only way to know is take things apart. Sometimes it is better to have this work done by a professional if you don't have the skills or tools but you are the person to know this?? I hope you the best of luck on this:thumbsup:

Pumper54

Threads
Adding to what the others have said, if you do pull the mower deck off look at all the moving parts for wear and if you can not find the exact replacement part you might be able to match it with one from another machine. I don't know anything about those machines but some mowers have a shear pin or bolt in the blade assembly and that might be why the blade doesn't turn when you turn the pulley. Shearing a 1 inch shaft would have caused other damage that you would be able to see. Post pictures of what you have and let us know what you find.

Tom

Psychlopath

Threads
I finally got a hold of the mower shop's Snapper guy. After pulling my spindle, the whole housing was cracked some how but he had a take-off that worked fine for me so I can get back to making the yard look like someone actually cares about the house.

So, I dont have any part numbers to answer my own questions, but I'm back in business.