Stihl 170 Chain Saw Carbon problem

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depend how you are using it.
If you are using it with a blunt blade , labouring the engine with a wide open throttle while applying your whole body weight to try & make it cut then yes 3 gallons will be more than enough to clog the screen.
I can always tell when hubby has sent wifey down to me with his chain saw.
The teeth will be rounded off , the paint on the bar will be burned off and there will be a deep gouge in the blade adjacent to the spikes where he has been forcing a blunt blade to do " just one more cut".
OTOH a woman's saw will require nothing more than 2 strokes of a blunt file to return a chain to razor sharp and the bar will look like it was bought yesterday.:laughing:

chzuck

Threads
I have been cutting long enough that when I start seeing saw dust instead of saw chips that it's time to sharpen the chain. My old Super 2 Homelite was a better saw in its day than this Stihl ever will be!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the screen and throw it away. Carefully clean the exhaust port.
I use 91-93 octane gasoline in all my small power equipment.
I have Stihl blowers, string trimmers and hedge trimmers, but I have Husqvarna chainsaws.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why is it so hard for some folks to try using the synthetic 2 cycle oils, ???? I've been using OPTI-2 ( http://opti2-4.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=165 ) for about 15 years now , NEVER a problem ...... NO smoke , NO clogged exhaust and hardly any carbon build-up in the cylinder. I guess the mention of APPROX. 100 to 1 ratio scares the hell outa folks ... There are several good synthetics out there, you may just want to try it for a change to the better......... Boobala :thumbsup:

P.S. might want to see their EXTENDED warranty for using their 4 cycle oil in new engines

http://opti2-4.com/images/thumbnails/images/Double Engine Warranty information.pdf

chzuck

Threads
Why is it so hard for some folks to try using the synthetic 2 cycle oils,
I do use a full synthetic - Stihl Ultra. Thanks for the recommendation. My local hardware store is supposed to carry that according to the Opti website.

Jack17

Threads
MS170 is an excellent light duty saw. I've had it for over 15 years and gave it away when I bought MS251CE. I've never had any problems with spark screen getting clogged up with carbon but...and given that your carburetor adjustment and fuel mix is correct could in fact be just the nature of the beast! Good example is my Stihl blower. Brand new, one tank of gas went thru it and screen was all clogged up. Lost all RPMs, barely idling. Took the screen out, cleaned it, put it back in, another tank of gas thru it and same thing all over again. All in all, screen is permanently out of the muffler and and she runs like new. I also use Sthil synthetic 2-cycle oil not only because it is a good product but also because Stihl gives one extra year of factory warranty if you buy it together with equipment purchase.
BTW, like the other guys told you about keeping the chain sharp...keep it sharp! This newer tool Stihl sells to sharpen chains cost about $45 or so and it's worth every penny...trust me!

chzuck

Threads
MS170 is an excellent light duty saw. I've had it for over 15 years and gave it away when I bought MS251CE. I've never had any problems with spark screen getting clogged up with carbon but...and given that your carburetor adjustment and fuel mix is correct could in fact be just the nature of the beast! Good example is my Stihl blower. Brand new, one tank of gas went thru it and screen was all clogged up. Lost all RPMs, barely idling. Took the screen out, cleaned it, put it back in, another tank of gas thru it and same thing all over again. All in all, screen is permanently out of the muffler and and she runs like new. I also use Sthil synthetic 2-cycle oil not only because it is a good product but also because Stihl gives one extra year of factory warranty if you buy it together with equipment purchase.
BTW, like the other guys told you about keeping the chain sharp...keep it sharp! This newer tool Stihl sells to sharpen chains cost about $45 or so and it's worth every penny...trust me!

Every thing I have seen says the carburetor is not adjustable.

Jack17

Threads
Also, simple things that could contribute to carbon build up like...dirty air filter and idling for a long time.