RPM on compressor pump

noma

Threads
Hi

I was trying to put to gather a air compressor i found its a campbell hausfeld workhorse that had a oil less pump on it and it doesn't work any more,its portable with wheel so i"m trying to put a belt driven compressor on it. I don't know what kind of compressor this is there is no mane on it only thing i can find is 1100. So with that compressor i"m putting a 1.5 hp electric motor and what i need to know is what the RPM should the pump run, so it don't fall apart? I"m running a 8 inch pulley on the compressor and a 4.250 on the electric motor, the RPM on the electric motor 1725 so at this rate the pump should be rotating about 800 RPM i was just wondering if i could up that a little bit so it would pump up a little faster.? And the amp when it pumping is 14.1 amps when it shuts off at 130 psi . With a 4 inch pulley on the electric motor it takes 15.2 amps at 130 psi when it just shuts off. Pump feels like it gets a little bit on the hot side put i thing that normal. Any comments would be great. i will try to get some pictures of it to:licking:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those oil less compressors will not stand much winging ... If you spin it as fast as you would want to... It will really shorten it's life...
You are better off spinning it slower and have a larger reservoir .... :smile:KennyV

noma

Threads
Hi Kenney

Sorry i didn't say any thing about the pump i was using to replace the oil less pump, the pump im replacing it with has oil in it . That's why i was wondering if i could run that pump with oil in the pump a little faster. I was thinking about going to 4.500 on the motor that shouldn't increase it to much i will have to check it out and see. thanks:licking:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you knew the model # of the compressor pump it could make it easier to determine the max RPM recommendation...
Most with an oil filled crankcase will be more robust and longer lived than an oil less .... Use synthetic compressor oil and you should be fine...
Going from a 4.25 to a 4.5 inch drive pulley will give you a 6 percent increase in speed. You will go from 916 RPM to 970 RPM on the crank.... That is a slight boost but should it prove to be too much, you can drop your top pressure from 130 down to 120 or 110,and still have the recovery speed boost ... after all it is the top end of the pressure that works everything the hardest... :smile:KennyV