rattle after kawa 691v warms up at fly wheel area shes super quiet when first started

wheel 520h

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / rattle after kawa 691v warms up at fly wheel area shes super quiet when first started
kawasaki 691v rattle after motor hot,sounds like fly wheel area at top of motor,only 15 hrs on it,runs great ,is somthing i should be worrid about?,it has 3 year warr on it ,but still bugs me ,put the 520h out to pasture 2 years ago, just use it for shows and snowblower,my mower is the ss5000.and i love it after i shimmed the front wheel clack!

John R

Threads
  • / rattle after kawa 691v warms up at fly wheel area shes super quiet when first started
Could be the valves need adjusting, I noticed my Kaw FX730V is starting to make more noise with only about 9 hours on it.

wheel 520h

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks john,ill take it back to dealer,let them listen,just thought some 1 else had same issue and said thats the way they are, heard lots of good things about kawasaki,also heard they need 50 hrs to be broke in?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep about 50 hours according to my Dealer. mine has 77 hours on it, & just started hearing a hot only ticking / rattle. It's at the Dealers to check & adjust the valve lash. Just made it in for warranty work.

Been super to this point.

Lawn Addict
Threads
And today I double mowed my place to test her out good. Seems good again.

mhavanti

Threads

My FR730V started clattering at the rocker arms with 28 hours on it and really loud when engine oil is hot. Time to adjust the valves although Kawasaki said it doesn't need adjusting until 300 hours.

If the rockers are loose, its time to adjust them both for power and timing.

Dealer's head mechanic says his FX730V has to be adjusted every time he mows tall, wet grass that requires the governor to stay engaged. I told him that shouldn't have a thing to do with valve adjustment other than the engine is heating more than it would without much of a load.

He just replied it has been true in all the Kawasakis they sell but, the Kohlers keep coming back not running due to their auto choke problems. I'll take a running engine over one that won't run. I can make adjustments to solve problems. Such as removing that stupid choke on the Kohler. lol

Good luck,

Max

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the rockers are loose, its time to adjust them both for power and timing.

Loose valve lash affects max lift and duration but has no effect on timing. Peak lift still occurs at the same place.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dealer told me last Oct that Kawa suggested us (around here) to run 10w-40, so I switched, & when mowing season began so did my oil burning.:thumbdown: Last thing I want is to cake up the combustion chambers.
So I switched back to Kaw 30wt, & it hasn't burned a drop since. They adjusted my valve lash prior to the oil change back, & I think they only got them close, as I hear a tiny tick. Much better than before, but the tick bugs me.

Maybe this winter I will take my time & check & adjust the valve lash as necessary. Otherwise my Kaw is good @ 79.9 hours today.

Max- what weight oil are ya running ?

mhavanti

Threads
cpurvis,

Respectfully,

Effectively, once the lash is loose, it does cause the valve not to open as far and for those that doesn't understand that, lift. Duration is a part of timing according to the amount of lift and when it opens and closes (duration) is a part of timing however not related to crankshaft relation to camshaft. Only in relation to the valve opening and closing relative to the piston placement and dwell time over top dead center.

I ground a lot of camshafts, crankshafts and valve relationship opening is what we're talking about. If the valve doesn't open soon enough (far enough) the compression can lock the engine until the compression can leak down enough for the engine to start. But then, you and I know that. Perhaps the fella with the valve lash problem may not.

Max

mhavanti

Threads
I'm using Shell Rotella T 15/40. It is a mid continent oil that will run in anything and save the motors over pretty much anything else on the market.

My family was in the patroleum industry beginning in 1961 and stayed involved in it until 2004 when we all retired. Shell Rotella T will clean up the inside of an engine and preserve the cross hatch on your cylinders longer than all the other oil on the market as evidenced by many independent laboratories, even to this day including synthetics. I don't run synthetics and if a person wants to pay the price for it, I say go for it. Will it make your engine last longer, answer is no.

You're changing back to the 30W is most likely coincidental to the oil consumption meaning the rings finally seated most likely. Perhaps not, but, as a machinist engine builder, that is my guess. The 30W will heat the engine more quickly due to the heavier weight while the engine oil is cold. That in itself can seat the rings if they were close to finding their home.

Hope your little kawi lasts for at least 1500 hours. Keeping the valves adjusted will help.

Max