kohler is having coil problems.

bryan4141

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello.last year i started having problems with my kohlier command pro 27 hp.i loosing horse power at times.when i would loose horse power it would be for a while.but when the horse power would come back a bunch of white and blue smoke would come out the muffler.i figured out it was from unbernt gas.it would actually make yours eyes burn if the smoke went past your face.so i talked to a couple lawn mower repair guys.they said it was from bad fuel.so i dumped all the gas in both tanks replaced all the gas lines with a new fuel filter put new plugs in.nothing changed.so me and my brother was talking and between the both of us we said we felt it was eletrical.because there was no tapping or rapping nothing metal hitting.so i put 2 new coils on the engine.and it solved the problem the engine ran like a brand new engine intill recently.it started again a year later.so i went back to lawn mower repair shop.to git a new coil and they told me kohlier is having problems with the coils that are three points on the coil.and kohlier came out with a new coil coversion kit that the coil is 2 points instead of three points and there is eletric wiring that comes with the kit to. so they orderded the kit.ill leave all yens know when i git done installing the kit.but in doing research about this kit i saw where kohler is offering my size of engine at 70% percent off.so i wonder if thos engines have the bad coils to and that why there offering those engines at 70% percent off.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
hello.last year i started having problems with my kohlier command pro 27 hp.i loosing horse power at times.when i would loose horse power it would be for a while.but when the horse power would come back a bunch of white and blue smoke would come out the muffler.i figured out it was from unbernt gas.it would actually make yours eyes burn if the smoke went past your face.so i talked to a couple lawn mower repair guys.they said it was from bad fuel.so i dumped all the gas in both tanks replaced all the gas lines with a new fuel filter put new plugs in.nothing changed.so me and my brother was talking and between the both of us we said we felt it was eletrical.because there was no tapping or rapping nothing metal hitting.so i put 2 new coils on the engine.and it solved the problem the engine ran like a brand new engine intill recently.it started again a year later.so i went back to lawn mower repair shop.to git a new coil and they told me kohlier is having problems with the coils that are three points on the coil.and kohlier came out with a new coil coversion kit that the coil is 2 points instead of three points and there is eletric wiring that comes with the kit to. so they orderded the kit.ill leave all yens know when i git done installing the kit.but in doing research about this kit i saw where kohler is offering my size of engine at 70% percent off.so i wonder if thos engines have the bad coils to and that why there offering those engines at 70% percent off.

I run 4 of the command pro's. All over 2000 hours and never had any problems.
Talked to my dealers tech and he has not heard of this problem.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have replaced the coils on a couple of units, but not enough to say there is a problem. The last two units both were so full of grass and debris that I would say the cause of the failure was poor consumer maintainence.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have replaced the coils on a couple of units, but not enough to say there is a problem. The last two units both were so full of grass and debris that I would say the cause of the failure was poor consumer maintainence.

I think most problems are caused by lack of maintainence.
I do not take my engine covers off that often. But I do feel around every day to make sure air is passing threw.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A while back a major small parts store had supposedly reported so called "lot failures " on a module. This would be electronic, not primary/secondary windings style.. Asia is the source of most semiconductors which are used to make the modules (transistors). If the assembler company does not test incoming parts and the shipping company fails to do it , the poor mower operator becomes the screener. Cheap parts will fail for several reasons. Cheap modules online are likely untested at the component level and at the bolt-in level. In the trade lingo you may see the "infant mortality" after heat is applied to the module. Buy branded parts from the dealer or hold you breath if you buy on the cheap, tempting as it is.

But even "branded" modules will fail at elevated temperatures so keep the engine free of debris , grass, rodent nests, etc. In theory a "solid state" part (transistor) will last forever. I know, I know too much inoformation...:rolleyes:

Edit: In e.g., armament procurement a lot failure triggers a massive "purge." The mfgr has the responsibility to alert ALL USERS... Replacement parts are cut in on the line, all loose bad parts gathered, and kits and personnel sent to the "field" to fix the equipment ASAP! Alas, at the bottom of the using pool we retail buyers are stuck. In due respect the retailer sellers (dealers)mostly don't know there is a widespread problem or how to proceed except to listen to complaints, and if widespread, perhaps to replace some to ?favored? customers......Consumer risk......

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I haven't seen a large problem with the modules, but do change out a few every year. Kohler has had what appears to be failures of modules, ECU on the EFI engines, and such do to what appears to be voltage spikes due to disconnecting jump packs from dead batteries, as well as turning off the electric pto clutch, which will act like a generator when it is stopping.

They have been through about 4 or 5 different configurations of modules, as well as adding diodes, or removing diodes, moving the charge system straight to the battery, as opposed to going through the key switch.

Their was one case of the tech working on an EFI while using the computer software to diagnose a problem and when they turned the pto off, it cooked the ECU and the techs laptop computer from the voltage spike.