Ran over hose - Husqvarna YTA22V46

GKL

Threads
I ran over an old hose, mower stopped, unraveled hose from blades, mower started again, both blades turn and cut grass good,

The only thing is that with the mower off, the right blade does not move as easily as the left blade when turning by hand, also, I can move the left blade both ways by hand and the right blade only in one direction.

Should I have any reason for concern as long as both blades turn and cut grass when the mower is on ?

Maybe something is still caught that I can't see easily but it is just enough to make it tight without stopping it from turning ?

GKL

Threads
I forgot to add that I am not sure if the right blade tightness was there before that happened.

GKL

Threads
Anyone else have blades that are tight to rurn by hand, but otherwise work fine when the mower is on and blades engaged ?

.....just trying to determine if a tight turning blade (by hand) is not unusual.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Was this belt on or belt off ?

You can not assess the condition of the spindle bearings by turning the blades with the belt attached as one side has a fixed tensioning pulley and the other has the moving tensioning pulley.
If your mower has a manual PTO then there is a blade brake as well.

What you should have done was check both blades for bending by aligning them in a strait line across the deck.
The blades should almost touch & be at the same height +/- 1/4".
Rotate one blade 1/2 turn and the alignment should be the same
Then do the other blade.
If one blade was 1/4" one side and the other side was 1/4" low, then the deck or spindle is bent / broken.
This should be done with the belt on so there is tension on the spindle housings which are deliberately frail on AYP products.

You check the rotation with the belt off.
You are looking for free, smooth and quiet rotation.
This is best done with the belt completely removed as even slack the belt can ride on the pulley.
If you mower has a manual PTO engagement it gets a bit harder as there are brakes which work on the spindle pulleys activated by the tensioning pulley arm so you have to both remove the belt and push the tensioning lever back to dissengage the brakes while simultaniously rotating the blades from under the deck

Rotate the blades by holding your pinkie stiff and pushing it sideways against the blade.
You get a better feel for roughness this way.

GKL

Threads
:welcome:

Was this belt on or belt off ?

You can not assess the condition of the spindle bearings by turning the blades with the belt attached as one side has a fixed tensioning pulley and the other has the moving tensioning pulley.
If your mower has a manual PTO then there is a blade brake as well.

What you should have done was check both blades for bending by aligning them in a strait line across the deck.
The blades should almost touch & be at the same height +/- 1/4".
Rotate one blade 1/2 turn and the alignment should be the same
Then do the other blade.
If one blade was 1/4" one side and the other side was 1/4" low, then the deck or spindle is bent / broken.
This should be done with the belt on so there is tension on the spindle housings which are deliberately frail on AYP products.

You check the rotation with the belt off.
You are looking for free, smooth and quiet rotation.
This is best done with the belt completely removed as even slack the belt can ride on the pulley.
If you mower has a manual PTO engagement it gets a bit harder as there are brakes which work on the spindle pulleys activated by the tensioning pulley arm so you have to both remove the belt and push the tensioning lever back to dissengage the brakes while simultaniously rotating the blades from under the deck

Rotate the blades by holding your pinkie stiff and pushing it sideways against the blade.
You get a better feel for roughness this way.

Thanks for the reply and info, it is sincerely appreciated !

The belt was on, I had simply got off the mower (parking brake on, engine off, blades lever disengaged) and was checking the blade spin by hand after untangling the hose off of them. Afterward, the mower started right up and both blades cut grass just as well as before.

I am feeling a little better now, the hose was an old cheap rubber hose and simply tangled up in the blades and stopped the engine, I would be surprised if the rubber hose would had been enough to do any serious damage like maybe hitting a piece of thick metal or a hard tree stump would.

Since you said there was both a fixed tensioning pulley and a moving tensioning pulley and it does have a manual PTO so there is a blade brake, then it would make sense that probably the right side that is tighter has the fixed tensioning pulley and that would explain why one side feels tighter.

Since the blades both spin (running the engine with blades engaged) without making any unusual noise and cut the grass just as before I guess I can likely assume all is well, as I would imagine if anything was bent or broken it would keep the mower from cutting just as it did before that happened, right ?

We have not had this riding mower long (first one) and I would have dreaded having to tell my wife I broke it already.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It would be worthwhile slipping the deck off and doing a proper check.
Also look closely at the mounting bolts.
Because of the ventlated design the spindle housings are very prone to cracking and breaking at the neck near the bolt.
The housings are quite cheap and fairly easy to replace.
However if it is cracked and subsequently breaks it will do a lot of damage to the deck, bend one if not both blades so it is worth while getting out the magnafying glass and strong torch and having a good look.

GKL

Threads
It would be worthwhile slipping the deck off and doing a proper check.
Also look closely at the mounting bolts.
Because of the ventlated design the spindle housings are very prone to cracking and breaking at the neck near the bolt.
The housings are quite cheap and fairly easy to replace.
However if it is cracked and subsequently breaks it will do a lot of damage to the deck, bend one if not both blades so it is worth while getting out the magnafying glass and strong torch and having a good look.

Thanks, very good points, I think it is okay, but I can take another look before mowing again.

Bicklebok

Threads
I will give you my 2 cents for what its worth. And this may have already been mentioned, but make sure your blade bolts are still tight.

I hit something with my blades once and it loosened the bolt on one blade. After untangling the mess I was mowing grass and suddenly the deck started vibrating and a blade came off.