Poulon Pro lawn tractor 25 hp replacement motor vs rebuild kit

Threads
  • / Poulon Pro lawn tractor 25 hp replacement motor vs rebuild kit
I do not know the model number of my lawn tractor just that it is a Poulan riding lawn mower and that it has a 25 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. (I do not think they made too many of this model). The engine is smoking terribly. Can anyone tell me if there is a chance of purchasing a rebuilt motor of the same size and how much they might run?

We do not have enough money to purchase a new motor - so we will be limited to what we can do.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look around for a riding mower that has other problems. And use the engine on yours.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

OK lets take it from the top.

White smoke or black smoke ?
Been doing it for a long while or just suddenly happened ?
Have you checked the oil , was it overfull ?
Does the mower seem low on power ?
Does it run bad or just blow smoke ?
Is it hard to start ?
Does it seem to spin faster faster on the starter motor than usual ?
When you turn it off after running for 10 minutes or so, remove the oil filler.
If it blows smoke signals then most likely just a head gasket or 2 . Easy fix about $ 50.

How good are you around motors ?
What tools do you have ?
Sticky beak arn't I

NorthBama

Threads
Look around for a riding mower that has other problems. And use the engine on yours.

That is a good suggestion around here you can find a mower with bad transmission or deck. They usually go for about 200- 300 dollars.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is a good suggestion around here you can find a mower with bad transmission or deck. They usually go for about 200- 300 dollars.

That's what I do. Then you can even sell some of the parts. I buy cheap mowers every time I see one. Take all the good parts and build good mowers and sell them. Once a year I haul the leftovers to the scrap yard. Last time I had over 3000 pounds.

NorthBama

Threads
That's what I do. Then you can even sell some of the parts. I buy cheap mowers every time I see one. Take all the good parts and build good mowers and sell them. Once a year I haul the leftovers to the scrap yard. Last time I had over 3000 pounds.
Yes I have a mower bone yard also

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
To properly rebuild a engine with machine work wouldn't be much cheaper then replacing it with a new one. Yes to find a used engine or find out what is wrong with your old engine would be your cheaper rout. bertsmobile 1 also has very good points in his post.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes,
Can not count the number of times some one has come in asking about a replacement engine when all they had was a hydraulic lock , loose tappets or blown head gasket.
Worst part is all too often one of the glass fronts had told them the engine was blown & quoted ( guestimated ) a repair running into thousands usually without even looking at the mower.

NorthBama

Threads
Yes,
Can not count the number of times some one has come in asking about a replacement engine when all they had was a hydraulic lock , loose tappets or blown head gasket.
Worst part is all too often one of the glass fronts had told them the engine was blown & quoted ( guestimated ) a repair running into thousands usually without even looking at the mower.

Yes Yes so right. Just replaced a starter for an elderly gentleman who was told by a local shop the he need a new engine his was locked up and would not turn. Starter gear hung in flywheel.:laughing: