Lawn mower not picking up clippings.

rusty95

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro walk behind and it is not picking up the cut grass. It's cutting it fine but leaves clumps of grass all over the place. It does this with the bag empty or full. The bag also seems to be sealed against the mower.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just offhand, I have some comments:

1. You say you have a Toro mower, but you also don't have a mower? :confused2:

2. It is not picking up the cut grass, but it does this with the bag empty or full? :confused2:

3. The bag seems to be sealed against the mower? Obviously that would make it pretty hard to empty when it is full, so no wonder it's not picking up the clippings. :confused2:

I have several rear bagging mowers, even on short, dry grass, they almost never pick up all the clippings, even with the bag just emptied. Are you expecting yours to work like a KIRBY? :confused2:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello rusty and WELCOME to this great Forum....

First place to check... look under the deck and check for build up...
Check the blade especially the lift wing is it worn bad and not giving enough air flow...

Check the bag, if it is very plugged up, the blade won't move enough air through it to carry the clippings... turn it inside out and power wash it clean... if the blade looks suspect, replace it... Happy mowing, post back with your findings... :smile:KennyV

rusty95

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello rusty and WELCOME to this great Forum....

First place to check... look under the deck and check for build up...
Check the blade especially the lift wing is it worn bad and not giving enough air flow...

Check the bag, if it is very plugged up, the blade won't move enough air through it to carry the clippings... turn it inside out and power wash it clean... if the blade looks suspect, replace it... Happy mowing, post back with your findings... :smile:KennyV

No build up, I made sure everything was clean. Bag is clear also. I checked everything and it all seems to be working normal. I bought a new blade and will try that.

Roybretton

Threads
Hello Rusty,

As to regard to, your lawnmower collection problem, this could be one of two things or possibly both:

1) Often the lifters on the lawnmower blades can become worn after much use, check that your lifters are not worn. The blades lifters are like a fan, that creates air and throws grass into the back of the grass box, if lifters become worn obviously your blade will not throw the grass into the back of the box.

2) Make sure that your collection box is clean, after continuous use the grass box can often get clogged up with grass. Ideally use an airline to clean the grass box or power washer jet to clean the box, if the box is blocked, the air will not flow through the box, making it impossible a lawn mower to collect properly.

I hope this helps your collection issue.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello Rusty,

As to regard to, your lawnmower collection problem, this could be one of two things or possibly both:

1) Often the lifters on the lawnmower blades can become worn after much use, check that your lifters are not worn. The blades lifters are like a fan, that creates air and throws grass into the back of the grass box, if lifters become worn obviously your blade will not throw the grass into the back of the box.

2) Make sure that your collection box is clean, after continuous use the grass box can often get clogged up with grass. Ideally use an airline to clean the grass box or power washer jet to clean the box, if the box is blocked, the air will not flow through the box, making it impossible a lawn mower to collect properly.

I hope this helps your collection issue.

I have never seen the term "lifters" as applied to a mower blade before...:confused2: but it's as good a term as any. I have a pair of rear bagging push mowers, and even with dry grass, the opening in the deck gradually builds up grass, I make a point to remove the clippings after every mowing job. It's a PIB, but required.

rusty95

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's not even happening after every mowing job. It seems like it happens all the time. I make a few passes and the hole to the bag gets clogged and then the clippings just fall to the ground in clumps.

LandN

Threads
It's not even happening after every mowing job. It seems like it happens all the time. I make a few passes and the hole to the bag gets clogged and then the clippings just fall to the ground in clumps.

HI RUSTY, try just cutting a 2" or 3" path just to see how much time it takes to "clog the opening" of the collector bag.maybe there is too much grass being thrown at the bag "on a full pass"than what the bag will accept. my jd tractor will have this problem in the fall when i bag "too many leaves and grass" the collector tube is then overwhelmed

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
make sure the blades not upside down...just fixed that on my neighbors bagger..it wouldnt work worth a damn

Dhills

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro walk behind and it is not picking up the cut grass. It's cutting it fine but leaves clumps of grass all over the place. It does this with the bag empty or full. The bag also seems to be sealed against the mower.

Hi, there can b 5 issues:-
1: bag is dirty/air does not pass through d bag. If so, clean d bag.
2: blade is broken or bent. If so, get a new blade.
3: the frame of the mower/the place where d blade rotates is bent or sum thing is stuck there. If so clean/fix it.
4: the front end of the mower should b lower than the rear end. If the setting on the front wheels is 2 clicks high, the rear wheels should b at 1 click and so on.
MOST IMPORTANT :---
5: after usage the RPM of the motor goes down/the motor slows down with usage. When the motor runs slow it does not make enough air pressure inside the chamber to throw the grass in d bag. If this is the case, take the mower to a mechanic/dealer they will check the RPM of the motor n increase it. At most places they don't charge anything to do this. Sooo it's worth giving it a try.
I m Preety sure Ur mower will cut n fill grass like new. ??