Tecumseh not getting fuel

bxd20

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old Tecumseh powered push mower. TVS series engine. Probably from the late 80's.

It stopped working a few years ago and I had better mowers and just set it aside. Tank was dry for a few years. Finally got around to playing with it, found no spark. Replaced the ignition coil, got spark.

Problem now is that it only runs as long as I'm pouring gas in through the air intake. Seems to run strong and even.

Recommendations?

Thanks!
Brian

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
the jet in the bowl nut is probably clogged and not allowing fuel to get into the throat of the carb.

bxd20

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm familiar with engines and have worked on cars a lot, but I don't know much about small engine carbs. Do I need to remove the carb and disassemble? Or does the jet come out by itself? What am I looking for? Thank you!!!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
if you are careful you can take the nut off the bottom of the bowl and then clean the ports in the nut and reinstall the nut. if the bowl comes loose the gasket tends to swell when exposed to gas and may be hard to get back in place if you can get it to fit back where it belongs. the jet i mentioned earlier is the nut.

bxd20

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's an old thread, but I wanted to post my fix so someone that comes later would learn from my experience. I found that the old metal (brass I think) float in the carb was apparently getting fuel logged. So it wouldn't float. I removed, cleaned the entire carb, and replaced with a new plastic style float, and the mower works great now. Thanks!