Hi lift blades.....

adjc

Threads
Anyone have a part # on 18.5" hi lift blades for SD54"? Currently using G5 gator blades an not to thrilled with them, thinking hi lift blades might be what I'm looking for. Link? Appreciate any help.

577jersey

Threads
I have been using XHT hi lift blades for a couple weeks now,they are the best blades for this machine in my area hands down!!
The stock blades would not even pick up small sticks,,these XHT blades pick up twigs,sticks,pine cones,chops them up and spits them out,,alot better cut quality also...no more scragglers like before and the blades are holding an edge for over 10 hours now and still cutting great!!

I have not noticed a drop in fuel consumption or the engine working any harder than normal either...even though Im sure it is a little :)

The only con I can think of is you will throw more dust and dirt around when its dry with these blades,Id say 35-40% more suction easy!!

These blades are hard as a rock,not like alot of those other brands made who knows where...these are made here in USA.

Here is a link to the same ones I got,,I will be buying more of these blades for sure,,best blade yet for the RSD 54 IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121750425758?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Tom :)

adjc

Threads
Thx...appreciate the link. Looks like he's on vac till the 29th but will get them once he comes back. Talked to a hustler rep today and he highly recommended hi lift blades. Not a bad price on 3 blades delivered. Thx again!

577jersey

Threads
Oh,,he is on vacation,,that stinks lol.

No problem buddy,,Im going to order another set also.

Please check back and let me know how they work for you and your application.

Take care and mow on!!!!!

Tom

BoylermanCT

Threads
When you say G5 blades, who made them? Are they the Oregon blades? I've ordered them for my new Raptor, as I have them on my Craftsman tractor, and love how they cut and how clean they keep the deck. Just wondering if they cut differently on the Raptor SD.

I'll start with the stock blades, then switch to the Oregon G5's, and depending on how everything goes, may get a set of these to try.

turboawd

Threads
what dont you like about the oregon blades?
i've tried stock, med lift, high lift, and oregon blades, and found the oregon to cut best for the tall grass that i cut. the only downside is they are louder since they blow(suck) more air, and are heavier, which take a bit more power to get them going on engagement.

577jersey

Threads
I’ve used gator blades in the past and never had good luck with them except in the fall for clean up..I found they did not have enough lift due to the wing being foiled or cut like it is...they left tons of scragglers,,had them on a Exmark Turf Ranger 60".

I have not tried them on my RSD because of the experience I had in the past,,but if you guys say the Oregon G5 blades have a good lift and cut quality I might shell out the dough and try a set.

These XHT blades are working really good for me on the RSD.

kraky

Threads
I had really good luck with the G5 Gator blades on my RSD..... but I cut my lawn pretty regular..... some of you guys are doing hay fields. They had plenty of suction and cut real clean for me. They also did a super job of grinding up trimmings from Hedge trimming....2 passes and they were mulch.
For you guys cutting commercially I would imagine the biggest hurdle is how early in the morning with wet dew conditions you can get out there and get to work.... and leave a cut that satisfies?

577jersey

Threads
Yeah,,if I have a few crab grass lawns lined up for the day,I always try to cut those in the PM,,that stuff is just nasty early in morning..stays wet even late in the day at times of high humidity.

I always cut the sunny areas first then cut the shaded last,,Ill even do my trimming first if they are really wet.

Tom

adjc

Threads
what dont you like about the oregon blades?
i've tried stock, med lift, high lift, and oregon blades, and found the oregon to cut best for the tall grass that i cut. the only downside is they are louder since they blow(suck) more air, and are heavier, which take a bit more power to get them going on engagement.

The blades (Oregon gator G5) themselves do what they are suppose to do. But the prob I have is that I live in an area where high humidity very seldom lets the grass dry out. Even at 2pm it's still wet enough that when you walk thru the yard your shoes still get wet. It also clogs the deck up where I have to clean it 3-4 times per cut. I'm mowing right at 1 acre. I've tried different methods such as speed, height and anything else you can think of, doesn't matter. Also I have a very high water table, you can dig 24-30 feet an hit water....needless to say grass grows unbelievable fast! I will say that the factory blades were less troublesome for me so this is what's got me to thinking the higher lift blades may work for my conditions. Had this conversation with the hustler rep the other day and he seems to think that this may be my better route. So for $30.00 shipped....worth a try on the hi lift blades. Who knows, may be the fix for my area, I know I've spent more in days past and have gotten less!!