Hi lift blades.....

577jersey

Threads
Copperhead makes a killer HL blade,Im trying to find a set for the SD,they are a little thicker than the XHT blades and look like the ones in the amazon store.
Ive been really happy with the XHT blades but these new Copperhead blades look better to me.

BoylermanCT

Threads
The Copperheads I got this week when I ordered XHT's were lower lift than the XHT's. They matched my original Hustler blades that came on the RSD. I returned them and asked the Amazon seller to send me the XHT's I originally ordered. They do spec out thicker .208 vs .194 if I recall.

Hegsz71

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well having a fastrak 54" I had a massive clogging issue with the stock blades, switched to gators and it was still there just less frequent. Bought High lift blades last week and my clogging problems are gone! checked the deck when I was done and the thing was spotless In fact it was cleaner then when I started. ( cleaned it before I mowed, but after doing it for the 100th time this year I did it really half assed.) I mowed in tall wet grass and it clumped a bit, but nothing like it normal did and there was no engine bog which would always happen before. just my $.02

mhavanti

Threads
Hegz,

Sounds like you hit on the right set up for sure. What is the brand and number of these blades if you don't mind?

Max

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well having a fastrak 54" I had a massive clogging issue with the stock blades, switched to gators and it was still there just less frequent. Bought High lift blades last week and my clogging problems are gone! checked the deck when I was done and the thing was spotless In fact it was cleaner then when I started. ( cleaned it before I mowed, but after doing it for the 100th time this year I did it really half assed.) I mowed in tall wet grass and it clumped a bit, but nothing like it normal did and there was no engine bog which would always happen before. just my $.02

We're hanging on your every word in order that we may know which blade you are using!

kraky

Threads
Wierd on the fastrak....my 54" 2015 came with high lift blades on it from the factory.
I didn't realize it until I ordered some xht high lift blades based on jerseys recommendations... when I was flipping them out they were virtually identical to the XHT'S but I thought the XHT'S had a tiny tiny bit more lift. The xht have certainly lived up to their names whenever I trim all the shrubs I just blow them out on the lawn and run them over with the mower and they don't Nick or Dull the blades at all. Recycling had it simple purest best!

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads

One thing you are going to find out running the high lift blades all of the time is you are going to have problems with sand blasting of your deck. I have two Scags that we have always run high lift blades on that have holes worn in the top pf the deck. Had to weld scalps over them. They do great work but they do bring about issues.

kraky

Threads
The sandblasting thing is pretty area-specific. I live in Central Wisconsin and we have a heavy clay soil and the high lift blades don't even begin to damage things under the deck.... if you go 40 miles north of here you run into a totally different sandy soil it will actually cut the lift right off of the blade like a torch!
But it certainly is a good idea to keep an eye on things!

BoylermanCT

Threads
Same here in CT - clay soil, no sand. My blades / deck all last many years. I have seen some blades in areas with sandy soil that have been ground away and have to be replaced on a regular basis, no such problem here.

ChuckL

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a set of the Hi-Lift XHT blades for my SD 48". Looks like I had the factory hi-lift blades, 601123?

Oh well, I now have a spare to sharpen for a quicker swap.