Just acquired a 102 and starting a restore

Corvetteman3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine runs great. This weekend I cleaned the rust on the top surface and painted it.

I will need to purchase tires and belts.

Will keep you posted.

Any tips form you experts would be appreciated .

Cajun Jeff

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Engine runs great. This weekend I cleaned the rust on the top surface and painted it.

I will need to purchase tires and belts.

Will keep you posted.

Any tips form you experts would be appreciated .

Cajun Jeff

:welcome:

Best thing you can do is fork out for the JD service repair manual.
It will pay for itself in no time flat.
If you end up selling the mower, sell the manual with it.
I do that down here and get $ 300 to $ 500 more than comprable mowers that do not have a manual

amiee.at.holmes

Forum Newbie
Threads
We recently bought a home and acquired a 102 as well. So far, we found some parts that needed replacing due to some wear and tear. I thought I'd share where we got some harder to find parts. Out of everywhere we searched, even on Ebay and Amazon, the prices were most reasonable for the large selection for John Deere parts.

And, if you're still looking for the manual that was suggested, you can click to locate diagrams of all of the parts in the 102. This was super helpful for us when we had to describe which parts we needed!

mrstan

Threads
:welcome:

Best thing you can do is fork out for the JD service repair manual.
It will pay for itself in no time flat.
If you end up selling the mower, sell the manual with it.
I do that down here and get $ 300 to $ 500 more than comprable mowers that do not have a manual

I just downloaded the parts diagrams from the parts stores on mine (115 automatic) since they are all free from them. I looked at the service manual, but found more help in the parts diagrams so I could have the part numbers and pictures of where they go on the mower. The Engine data can be gotten free at Briggs & Stratton's web page if you need stuff like timing or whatever on the engine. I wish I had the service manual, but have not really needed it to date though.. Might change after time though.. Never can tell.

Once you have the part numbers with confidence on what you are getting, you can go to various sites hunting them down and find them at incredible low prices (at least is what I have found). I have about 3-4 sites bookmarked that are my "go-to" places when I seek a specific part. NOTE.. ebay sometimes is a good place, but I have found they are sometimes the most expensive at times.. Shop around with the part number you get off the parts list.. It pays off!

Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Didn't happen. Not a single picture.:laughing: