Exmark Navigator Steering and oil consumption

ChrisJames81

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all. I recently purchased a 2005 Exmark Navigator NAV27KC with the 27HP Koehler with 1000hrs on it. I have 2 questions.

First, the steering is kind of messed up. Not the simple adjustment on the left motor where it steadily turns to one side. It almost feels like the pumps are sticking. They actuate fine, but it seams like the return is sluggish. I greased the 2 control arms and don't know if it helped. One pump had recently been replaced, and a new line is on the older pump. There was a tiny leak on the older pump which I fixed. I can pull back on one of the arms, and one time it started doing donuts and almost threw me off the mower. Also when you pull back on the speed lever to stop it pulls to the left hard. I have to manipulate the one lever as I'm stopping to get it to stop straight. I'd say 70% of the time it drives straight, and the rest it pulls to the left or the right. My question is if there are serviceable springs inside the pump to help it return from a movement, as I believe this is the cause of my problem, the one pump sticking.

The second is about oil consumption. I can't find a serial number or anything relating to the engine anywhere on it. I read that using multigrade (5W-30) in kawasaki can cause it to burn, but I believe I have a Koehler. I have 5W-30 in it now, and was wondering if I switch to some Mobile1 30wt if it would help, as it is burning a lot of oil. I have added almost 3 qts to it since I got it and have put probably less than 25 hours on it. It runs smooth and sounds great though.

Any and all help is much appreciated.
20160526_173657.jpg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't offer any help other than suggest using a straight weight oil, that would be better than the multi-grade. And whatever the engine brand, if it's burning oil, the spark plugs should confirm this, by removing & inspecting them. If it is leaking, I would still say to avoid full synthetic oil (at this time) as it will generally just use more.

Threads
Hello all. I recently purchased a 2005 Exmark Navigator NAV27KC with the 27HP Koehler with 1000hrs on it. I have 2 questions.

First, the steering is kind of messed up. Not the simple adjustment on the left motor where it steadily turns to one side. It almost feels like the pumps are sticking. They actuate fine, but it seams like the return is sluggish. I greased the 2 control arms and don't know if it helped. One pump had recently been replaced, and a new line is on the older pump. There was a tiny leak on the older pump which I fixed. I can pull back on one of the arms, and one time it started doing donuts and almost threw me off the mower. Also when you pull back on the speed lever to stop it pulls to the left hard. I have to manipulate the one lever as I'm stopping to get it to stop straight. I'd say 70% of the time it drives straight, and the rest it pulls to the left or the right. My question is if there are serviceable springs inside the pump to help it return from a movement, as I believe this is the cause of my problem, the one pump sticking.

The second is about oil consumption. I can't find a serial number or anything relating to the engine anywhere on it. I read that using multigrade (5W-30) in kawasaki can cause it to burn, but I believe I have a Koehler. I have 5W-30 in it now, and was wondering if I switch to some Mobile1 30wt if it would help, as it is burning a lot of oil. I have added almost 3 qts to it since I got it and have put probably less than 25 hours on it. It runs smooth and sounds great though.

Any and all help is much appreciated.
View attachment 29301

Mine started using a lot of oil the last couple of years. it should be using 10w30. I found that it would use less when running Mobil 1. We have it apart right now, the oil rings were shot and the cylinders were glazed like glass. Should be all back together tomorrow, hopefully.

Regarding the steering, it can take several attempts at purging all of the air out of the hydro system before it the steering will cooperate. Jack up the drive wheels, open the purge valves on top of the pumps, start the engine and move the speed control to full forward, then move the steering levers back and forth at the same time, slowly. Do it long enough that the oil gets warmed up. Then shut down the engine, close the valves, top off the reservoir and give it a try. It can take 4-5 purge sessions before it acts normal again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFgt0GgjNg

Also, here is a link to the owner's manual, it shows how to set up and adjust the steering system. Follow it to a TEE, and make sure all of the linkage connections are tight, no slop in the linkage, etc. Also, Exmark recommends adding Amsoil Slip-Lock to the hydro system. Clamp the line going into the hydro filter, remove the filter, and pour the Slip-Lock into the filter. Reinstall and purge the system. https://www.exmark.com/PDF/GetPDF?path=Rider Manuals/103-8573

ChrisJames81

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can't offer any help other than suggest using a straight weight oil, that would be better than the multi-grade. And whatever the engine brand, if it's burning oil, the spark plugs should confirm this, by removing & inspecting them. If it is leaking, I would still say to avoid full synthetic oil (at this time) as it will generally just use more.

I switched over to just 30wt and consumption has gone down. I pulled the plugs and sure enough one is completely gummed up. Looks like engine work is in store for the future.

Mine started using a lot of oil the last couple of years. it should be using 10w30. I found that it would use less when running Mobil 1. We have it apart right now, the oil rings were shot and the cylinders were glazed like glass. Should be all back together tomorrow, hopefully.

Regarding the steering, it can take several attempts at purging all of the air out of the hydro system before it the steering will cooperate. Jack up the drive wheels, open the purge valves on top of the pumps, start the engine and move the speed control to full forward, then move the steering levers back and forth at the same time, slowly. Do it long enough that the oil gets warmed up. Then shut down the engine, close the valves, top off the reservoir and give it a try. It can take 4-5 purge sessions before it acts normal again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFgt0GgjNg

Also, here is a link to the owner's manual, it shows how to set up and adjust the steering system. Follow it to a TEE, and make sure all of the linkage connections are tight, no slop in the linkage, etc. Also, Exmark recommends adding Amsoil Slip-Lock to the hydro system. Clamp the line going into the hydro filter, remove the filter, and pour the Slip-Lock into the filter. Reinstall and purge the system. https://www.exmark.com/PDF/GetPDF?path=Rider Manuals/103-8573

Thanks for those links, I actually ordered all new springs and it helped a lot, but it is still not fully there. I didn't try purging it yet, but i'm going to try that next, maybe even the slip-lock additive. Thanks for the recommendations, i'll report back how it goes.

ChrisJames81

Forum Newbie
Threads

Are there bolts holding the cylinders on? Like can I pull the cover, then head then cylinder when the engine is still in the mower, or am I going to have to pull the motor. I'm going to do a cylinder leakdown test to diagnose whats going on, but i'm almost certain it may be internal engine work.

Thanks in advanced.