Kohler Courage 19 MTD Yarman SV590S

bugnutz

Forum Newbie
Threads
At my wits end. My MTD Yardman 42" tractor, cranks, won't start.

It has a new battery that charges well, new air filters, new spark plug, cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor. The solenoid was bypassed when I bought it, and it worked fine without it one season. This is the second season I have tried to use this tractor, and it has been nothing but one problem after another. The (Walbro, LMK) carburetor was leaking fuel, so that definitely was a problem.

I have also recently replaced the belt for the blades.

The 20 amp fuse was blown and I replaced that.

I read this:

Cranks - Will Not Start
x Fuel tank empty
x Fuel hose kinked, pinched
Fuel filter clogged
x Fuel valve shut off
x Fuel solenoid inoperative
LPG regulator not opening (?)
Water in fuel, stale fuel (?) maybe stale but the tank is full?
x Wrong type fuel (diesel)
x Throttle control in stop position
Choke not fully closed (?)
x Choke on, flooding hot engine (not hot.)
Power take-off (PTO) clutch on (?)
Safety interlocks inoperative (?)
x Spark plug wire disconnected
Spark plug improperly gapped (?)
x Wrong type of spark plug
x Wiring harness not connected
Wiring broken, loose or wrong (?)
Transmission not in neutral (?)
Electrical clutch not adjusted (?)
Cranking speed too slow to start (?)
x Spark plug loose
Low or no compression (?)

I am thinkin that maybe I don't weigh enough to hold the seat down properly for the safety switch, but how would I disable that?

Some of these things, I don't know how to do. I am so tired of fiddlin with this thing, but if there is a step by step how to check more than what I have already done, if someone could link me, or explain, I would be so appreciative. Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Buy a neon tube in line spark tester and fit it to your plug.
Crank the engine and watch for orange flashes.
No flashes = coil problem / safety switch problem
Disconnect the cut out wire to the coil.
No flashes = bad coil
Flashes + problem in mower wiring.

Now is this a LPG engine or a petrol engine ?

bugnutz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Kohler Courage 19 MTD Yardman SV590S

Hi, thanks. No it is not LPG.

bugnutz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well changing the fuel filter seemed to be the ticket. Got it started.

Throttle isn't right, though. It kept dying when I tried to reduce the throttle and could only get it to stay running on the fastest setting. It died a couple of times while I was mowing a bit with it, and wouldn't start unless I pushed the throttle all the way to the bottom (slow) and then back up to the top (fast) and then set it on the rabbit.

Also the PTO height is all wrong. I had it set to the highest setting, (5) and it is still cutting real short, as if it was set to the lowest setting.

mhavanti

Threads
If it isn't idling down and running at idle speeds, you may need to adjust the carb. There should be a screw you can adjust inward and outward to adjust air to fuel ratio in the fuel circuit of the carb. That may help you out.

bugnutz

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it isn't idling down and running at idle speeds, you may need to adjust the carb. There should be a screw you can adjust inward and outward to adjust air to fuel ratio in the fuel circuit of the carb. That may help you out.

When it sputtered and died I smelled gas, so I guess that means it is probably too rich? But, I think I am going to wait til all this older fuel is burned out of it to do any adjusting. I added some seafoam to the tank, and that also seemed to help.

possum

Threads
Last I knew the Courage engines cannot be adjusted for rich- lean. You must love punishment . Take the fuel from the tank and get rid of it. Clean the tank, the lines, and the carb. Start over with fresh fuel. Your linkage is either not attached to the deck, the linkage is broken or bent.

mhavanti

Threads
Mine has the plastic stop covering the mixture screw. Pop the stop off the screw and adjust away. The stop is placed over the adjustment screw after the engine has gone thru a run up at the factory. Usually it is adjusted to run slightly on the rich side. It should probably be leaned 3 to 5% to make it idle down and a bit more power and RPM should also be experienced.

Good luck