Briggs Dying when turning or Stopping Abruptly - Mid-diagnosis.

WalkerGuy443

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs Dying when turning or Stopping Abruptly - Mid-diagnosis.
Hi everyone. it's great to find this forum!
I was wondering if you could help me - I have a very butchered early 1990s walker.
My grandfather swapped a Briggs motor into it when he bought it - model 235437-0084-01
I've lost faith in the local mower shop as they charged me $750 for a carb kit with labor and told me it was running fine, even after I've returned it several times with this problem. I've taken it upon myself to fix it.

The mower runs fine, but if you turn at the end of a pass or stop at more than a very gentle pace, the mower completely cuts out. If you quickly pull it back to idle, it sometimes (1 in 10 chance) splutters back to life. It will start immediately once it's completely stopped.

Things I've done:

Disconnected the blade-cutout in the seat
Replaced the coil,
General clean up of the flywheel, checked the key etc.
Taped up wires (from what looks like the charge circuit) that had insulation stripped off them from hitting the flywheel and ziptied them out of the way.
Replaced the spark plug

The shop did a carb kit and replaced the fuel pump with a fuleflow 015 (3-4psi) . I'm wondering if it's maybe getting too much fuel. there is a return line to the tank though so i assumed excess pressure would be pumped back to the tank.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? I really thought that it was ignition but I feel like I've exhausted that avenue. Any help would be much aprreciated :biggrin:
Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I can adjust the mixture on the carb all the way until the screw physically comes out and it will still run. Doesn't seem to be normal!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like a loose electrical connector that is getting moved around possibly by the speed control levers or something. Is something rubbing the wiring loom and wiggling it at the key switch.

WalkerGuy443

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you both for your replies. That manual is extremely helpful. I can't actually find an earth lead. The battery lead earths into the frame so it must be on the motor somewhere. I'm investigating further now :)

WalkerGuy443

Forum Newbie
Threads
SOLVED.

It ended up being the oil sensor behind the flywheel. I checked the levels and it was all okay so I isolated it, thinking that when I turned/stopped the movement of the oil could've triggered the sensor to kill the motor. Sure enough I did an hours work and it didn't miss a beat.

Thank you for your replies! :thumbsup: