Impressions: newGT48XLSi

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boobala over in Briggs engine forum caused me to look at the "gas " rods at the front of the engine. While taking a pic I discovered a broken spring on the rightmost vertical control rod, a little guy of only .014" wire diameter. I did have a surging problem a while back which disappeared and the 'chine is running well now. But another early component failure-about 80 hours total.

Attachments

• P1010012 (1).jpg
    P1010012 (1).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 23

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That spring is a damper and prevents a hysterisys event where the governor shaft slightly overshoots then over corrects then overshoots and overcorrects to a smaller & smaller amount till it finally smooths out.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert, Thanks, I was thinking along those lines. Layman's ..kind of a "bouncing thing" (surge?)so the bounce can set up another , setting up another. I had reached under there and held that rod ( I think) when the surging happened, but that force seemed too great to have been dampened by that spring. I guess I can expect more of the same.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, Thanks, I was thinking along those lines. Layman's ..kind of a "bouncing thing" (surge?)so the bounce can set up another , setting up another. I had reached under there and held that rod ( I think) when the surging happened, but that force seemed too great to have been dampened by that spring. I guess I can expect more of the same.

Got it in one.
Been caught out more than once cleaning then recleaning then replacing fuel lines & pumps only to find out the "surging" was nothing more than a busted or incorrectly positioned spring.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just a word to say the machine is running well and not overheating. About 95 hours. Does not throw 5w 30.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lot's of mowing and back up among many trees. The deck output chute flap tore off today. The action on it is to "dip" or "dig in" on backup under the trees. Not durable. A bit more than 100 hours use.

Attachments

• P1010015 (3).jpg
    P1010015 (3).jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 17

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sit down before you ask the price of a replacement, then you will understand why you see so many with no flap on the chute.

If you do replace it make a hole in the flap near the end and put some string in there so you can pull it up out of the way.
When I do this for customers I use a cup hook that is on a small plate, drill a hole in the flap and thread the hook through from the inside so the base spreads the load and being flat the grass does not get caught on it on the way out.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Flap of different material still perfect on DYT 4000 since 2004! This "rubber ducky" stands in sharp contrast to the Humvee, welded deck next to it. Does it dampen objects that may be thrown, and so provide a safety feature? If so replacement is a good idea...thinking of the young lady with the head wound. This Husqy is a study in design contrasts...tin can seat bracketry, rubber ducky flap....welded deck , unreadable gas gauge. This mower uses gas!!

But the engine pleases, running cool 230F oil temp and holding 5w-30 . Still some starter jamming at turn-on. Like it overall.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Several months ago I happened into a Lowes where they display their riders out front. There, much to surprise, was a Husqy like mine but with Kaw power, the version I tried to find , but failed. Anyway it was used with unknown hours for $3K. I think it had a 50" deck. Wonder why it was there and if a happy owner was found. That machine is way above the usual big box mix I see there.