Husqvarna/Craftsman : homemade front bumper from scrap metal (dumper diving !)

turbofiat124

Threads
  • / Husqvarna/Craftsman : homemade front bumper from scrap metal (dumper diving !)
I built this last summer but just got around to taking a photo of it. The cheapest bumper I could find was around $60 which was a piece of bent tubing with the ends flattened.

The only thing is, the metal I sourced from dumpster diving at work seems to be thicker than the metal used on the frame. So I wonder if I were to hit something hard, the bumper might survive but the frame may bend.

IMG_20160720_194624345_HDR_zpsirleg0c1.jpg

IMG_20160720_194629744_zpsxx8i77io.jpg

The hood barely opens all the way. I should have made the mounts about 1" longer. I also drilled some holes and was going to mount some extra lights but after the fact I realized the hood would not open at all with lights mount. Unless I mount them below the bumper.

Pumper54

Threads
  • / Husqvarna/Craftsman : homemade front bumper from scrap metal (dumper diving !)
Looks well done, I think most of us have built something and then figured out we should have done is just a bit different. Any chance you can extend the mounting arms forward a bit by welding on adding to them?

Tom

turbofiat124

Threads
Looks well done, I think most of us have built something and then figured out we should have done is just a bit different. Any chance you can extend the mounting arms forward a bit by welding on adding to them?

Tom

I welded the mounts to the angle iron. The bottom of the hood rubs the bumper but it stays up. I think I just eyeballed the distance with the hood up then after the fact realized I should have made the mounts an inch longer.

Pumper54

Threads
Don't know what happened to the first message I typed out.

Can you move the bumper forward and use the rear hole as the front one and then add on additional flat stock at the rear? Maybe grind out the area where the hood hits the bumper as the bumper looks pretty strong. Any chance of a hood up picture to see whats happening?
Tom

turbofiat124

Threads
Don't know what happened to the first message I typed out.

Can you move the bumper forward and use the rear hole as the front one and then add on additional flat stock at the rear? Maybe grind out the area where the hood hits the bumper as the bumper looks pretty strong. Any chance of a hood up picture to see whats happening?
Tom

Actually I was going to take a sharpie and trace around where the hood touches the bumper then cut that out using a Dremel tool. But the hood will stay up. It just does not open 100% all the way (more like 95%). I couldn't remember if the hood can be removed with the bumper in place but looked up a photo of when I did a head gasket replacement and it's on there then.

IMG_20151118_102951387_zpsy5isdovy.jpg

I thought about moving it forward but I'd still have to weld a piece onto the end of the original bracket or it would flop up and down.

Next time I get my mower out of my yard barn to mow, I'll snap a photo with the hood open.

Midniteoyl

Threads
Slot the holes and move it forward.. Works as a sort of 'absorber' if you hit something hard too as the bumper will be allowed to move back an inch or what ever your slots are.

Pumper54

Threads
Slot the holes and move it forward.. Works as a sort of 'absorber' if you hit something hard too as the bumper will be allowed to move back an inch or what ever your slots are.

There you go, that is a great idea.
Tom

RudyP

Threads
Good job-I also built my own bumper/canopy for my CC2166.

Attachments

• My 2166 01.jpg
    My 2166 01.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2166 rear.jpg
    2166 rear.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 8

Pumper54

Threads
Rudy,
Pretty cool set up you made there. I'm guessing you don't have a lot of trees to mow under?

Tom

RudyP

Threads
Hey Tom, as a matter of fact we do, as well as some shrubs and berry bushes to negotiate thru. The down poles help divert bushes so I don't get slapped in the face anymore and the 1 1/4" square tubing frame is just heavy enough to do the same with low hanging limbs. When tree limbs get too big I cut them back; the canopy top sure does help keep the sun from my old balding head as well. Thanks, Rudy.