Mowing speed suggestions???

trpshoot

Threads
I have a 329 with a 52" rear discharge with stock blades that are kept sharpened. We have had some odd weather in East central Indiana of late, when the soil is moist, I can mow faster and not get beat to death, however when we go thru a dry spell, my predominately clay soil dries rock hard and I have to slow down or get beat to death with a terrible ride. It seems I get a better cut when the conditions allow me to mow faster. I don't know if it is in my head or not, but it seems that I get a better cut while mowing at a faster speed? Is this just an illusion or with the rear discharge is there a better vacuum at a higher speed rather than just faster than a slow crawl?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 329 with a 52" rear discharge with stock blades that are kept sharpened. We have had some odd weather in East central Indiana of late, when the soil is moist, I can mow faster and not get beat to death, however when we go thru a dry spell, my predominately clay soil dries rock hard and I have to slow down or get beat to death with a terrible ride. It seems I get a better cut when the conditions allow me to mow faster. I don't know if it is in my head or not, but it seems that I get a better cut while mowing at a faster speed? Is this just an illusion or with the rear discharge is there a better vacuum at a higher speed rather than just faster than a slow crawl?

If you are bouncing, the deck and blades are bouncing.

BWH

Threads
You mentioned sharp blades that's important at any speed, assuming you are cutting no more than an inch or inch and a half off the grass you should get a reasonably good cut. I find that the grass will rebound from the deck wheels better if the grass isn't so tall. In wide open areas I have no quality of cut issues at 3/4+ speed on the hydrostat. As for the terrible ride problem on the dry hard clay I know exactly how that can take its toll on the body, first thing are you running the recommended air pressure (a pound or two makes a big difference) this past year I purchased a new 725D with a Grammer air suspension seat. Take it from a guy with a herniated disk (L-3) you will never mow without a suspension seat again.

trpshoot

Threads
Thanks, I am running exactly 9# in the rear and the recommended in the front. I should check into the suspension seat.