Tire pressure on the hopper???

Grouse09

Threads
I am assuming you are using a low pressure tire guage.

trpshoot

Threads
Those are 16-20psi tires, not 9., unless they are Turf Savers 2ply (which they dont look like), then they are 10psi.

edit: What the name/product code on those? Looks like a Turf Master..

I couldn't read a product code the way both tires are down and creased, but I did read 4-ply, inflate to 20 PSI with the name LITE FOOT or something, I did not see the word Turf Master but again it is difficult to see in the shed.

So bottom line, why is there a 9 PSI sticker on my rim with tires that obviously need more # of air?

Anyone else heard of it causing transmission damage or is the tech at the dealership who gave me the info on how to start, etc. when I picked up 329 just mistaken?

I have not broken a bead yet, but on this one wide hill that I mow sideways it does feel like it could bust a bead.

trpshoot

Threads

No, I didn't know such a thing existed, but thanks for the info. I just ordered one off of Amazon. "SX Series Accugage Low Pressure Tire Pressure Gauge 1-15 PSI" seems to have a decent amount of 4 & 5 star reviews.

Midniteoyl

Threads
I couldn't read a product code the way both tires are down and creased, but I did read 4-ply, inflate to 20 PSI with the name LITE FOOT or something, I did not see the word Turf Master but again it is difficult to see in the shed.

So bottom line, why is there a 9 PSI sticker on my rim with tires that obviously need more # of air?

Anyone else heard of it causing transmission damage or is the tech at the dealership who gave me the info on how to start, etc. when I picked up 329 just mistaken?

I have not broken a bead yet, but on this one wide hill that I mow sideways it does feel like it could bust a bead.

I have no idea why its there, but those tires are way too low. If they are not Carlisle Turf Masters, then they are a knock-off/same thing w/ a different name.

If you can, go back to the dealer and look at other 329's and check the tire's over all height as sitting. This is the most important measurement as it determines the circumference which determines the 'rotations per miles', which determines the speed at a set RPM. In effect, your final drive ratio and how hard your hydros work.

Speaking of which, I am not familiar with Grasshoppers all that much, but maybe you have an upgraded model with bigger hydros, more weight, and thus better tires?

edit: And I'm not saying you need to inflate to the full 20psi. Just that 9psi is obviously too low.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have no idea why its there, but those tires are way too low. If they are not Carlisle Turf Masters, then they are a knock-off/same thing w/ a different name. If you can, go back to the dealer and look at other 329's and check the tire's over all height as sitting. This is the most important measurement as it determines the circumference which determines the 'rotations per miles', which determines the speed at a set RPM. In effect, your final drive ratio and how hard your hydros work. Speaking of which, I am not familiar with Grasshoppers all that much, but maybe you have an upgraded model with bigger hydros, more weight, and thus better tires?

I would not go to the dealer to check ride height. 19 out of 20 times the dealer has way to much psi in the tires. Most of the time close to 30psi

I use a straight edge on the tires. I run them so the all the tread is touching the straight edge.

trpshoot

Threads
i looked in my manual and it says 9 PSI. I spoke with a tech at Grasshopper who was very helpful. He said 6-9 PSI is recommended for ride comfort and maximum traction, it has nothing to do with the hydros, etc. The tech agrees that I should not have that much of a crease and that maybe it is happening either because I am losing air because of a bad bead or riding sideways on my steep hills (About 35-40 degrees) is putting too much pressure on the sidewall. The tech said no problem going a few pounds more, but ride will suffer and he is concerned about losing traction on a hill, so to incrementally go up in PSI and monitor very closely. So I just put 13 pounds in my tires and the crease is gone and it looks more like a natural sag of a low pressure tire. I won't be mowing for a few days but will let you guys know if anyone has interest.

My mower weighs about 1140 without fuel. Tank is 12 gallons so that is another 60 pounds plus...

20160721_160021.jpg20160721_160008.jpg

Midniteoyl

Threads
As I said before, my tractor uses 16psi in 24-12-12 4ply AT101 tires and ~1200 pounds of weight. Grasshopper recommended 9psi seems a little off. Usually 8-9psi is recommended on light weight box store mowers.

trpshoot

Threads
Re: Tire pressure on the hopper??? SOLVED!!!

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. Grouse09, guess what? I have a bad tire gauge. I bought two new gauges with the intention of leaving one regular gauge in my pickup truck.

There is a 6 PSI discrepancy between the gauge I have been using and the new low pressure gauge. There is about a 2 PSI discrepancy between the brand new regular guage I purchased. 2 PSI when talking about 9-10 pounds is what just under 20% rate of error!!! 6 PSI off, well that isn't even in the ball park!

So when my tires were collapsed instead of having 9 PSI, I was closer to 3 PSI. I mowed with about 8 PSI and all is well. That junk gauge caused me a lot of confusion. LOL... So I guess the grass hopper techs are correct in recommending 6 to max 9 PSI in that tire size for my zero turn. It was a stiff ride yesterday. So I am going to try 6 1/2 PSI and see if that smooths out the ride.

IMG_0316.jpgIMG_0315.jpgIMG_0314.jpgIMG_0313.jpgIMG_0312.jpg

:laughing:

Grouse09

Threads
Look at me with the troubleshooting answer! Glad to help TrapShooter. Even happier your problem is fixed!