Walk behind 1970 Lawnboy Model # 5004

Rbp401

Threads
Does anyone have any recommendations for paint color grabber green does not seem to be it my green is a paler green actually not very nice green but I want to keep it original. Grabber green seems to be on the fingertip start models not on the top recoil models. Thanks for any information!

Rbp401

Threads
Does anyone have a recommendation for paint color for the pale green color on the 5004 I cant seem to find any engine enamels that come close.

Rbp401

Threads
Thanks Lee! I saw the Key lime and the Satin Green Apple thought they were very close, I don't know much about the rustoleum 2x paint wasnt sure if it would hold up on a mower.

2smoked

Threads
I am looking forward to seeing your finished product. I have been pursuing a mower that is a bit newer than yours, but is the same color, I believe. I just can't get the owner to respond to me. Finding an early 60's Lawn Boy Bricktop for the right price, that is in good condition would fulfill my collecting dreams. (I think.)

Rbp401

Threads
These are the rustoleum colors I found to be close matches key lime, satin green apple, green citrus. I tried to insert a photo and it wouldn't do it, any recommendations on how to do this.

Attachments

• IMG_0909.jpg
    IMG_0909.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 14

Rbp401

Threads
Sorry it did work so I'm not brain dead that's good news. The recoil mechanism I bought off ebay I believe it is the correct color I have remnants of the original and it matches the color of the one I bought. None of these colors are exact but I'm sure any will work if they hold up to gas, bet they wont . Only engine or wheel enamel will and I haven't found any in key lime.

unclelee

Threads
Maybe when you paint, you could let it cure for a few days, then clear coat with something like Duplicolor clear engine enamel.
I have seen that done with Oakland Daisy satin to reproduce the buttercup color, and mixing paint brands didn't mess up the under coat.
Lee

bwright1818

Threads
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I just picked up one of those pictured 3003s, the Buttercup. It says "limited distribution." Anybody else out there have one?

Lawnboy77

Threads
Sorry it did work so I'm not brain dead that's good news. The recoil mechanism I bought off ebay I believe it is the correct color I have remnants of the original and it matches the color of the one I bought. None of these colors are exact but I'm sure any will work if they hold up to gas, bet they wont . Only engine or wheel enamel will and I haven't found any in key lime.

Just to throw this out there for more options/info. You could go to the local PPG automotive paint shop and have them match and mix a quart of the acrylic enamel paint. When it comes to matching colors they are the best and of course if you plan on using the machine it will be much more durable than rattle can paint. I just had a couple quarts mixed for a 1967 Lawnboy edger (green and beige), the price was about 30 bucks a quart. One other option would be to have it powder coated, I've had a few done that way and that's probably the best way to go in my opinion. It will be the most expensive though, just to give a ball park figure on price, the shop I use will media blast and powder coat a mower for around 100 bucks. Not too bad when you think about it, stripping old paint and surface prep is very time consuming and not really all that cheap either. What I have also done for those jobs where there is no good match for powder color is to have it coated in the closest color, then scuff it up with 320 grit and shoot the more correct color over the top of the powder coat. Hope this helps.