Briggs 12.5 I/C non OHV turns over slow and stops on compression stroke.

mbelus

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs 12.5 I/C non OHV turns over slow and stops on compression stroke.
You need a different battery. Need more cold cranking amps.

jreiber83

Forum Newbie
Threads
Or starter is going out. Easy to rebuild and fsirly cheap but would start with new battery.

scottmoreland

Forum Newbie
Threads
well their isnt that much too it , you said you had the head off, did it have carbon on piston top and or cyl. head , I just had a 2 cyl. 18 hp that cranked hard also and what I did was finally sprayed water mist thru carb while on high idle to clean off piston and combustion chamber. or you might have too much timing advance, which I was told once if you set the coil gap from .030 to about .060 it would retard the timing maybe 2 to 3 degrees. ,, just food for thought. I you voltage dropped and non over 1 volt while cranking and starter is new I think you stated ..that should be it . unless the top of cyl. bore is scored but that you would of seen with head off.. let me know.

I had the same problem with my 18 hr brigs twin cyl . It ended up being battery cables . Installed new cables and i think that the ground was bad to . Works like a new one now.

hsherm

Threads
I just now read through this posting. I don't want to sound insulting, but I didn't notice if you had said anything about checking the oil level or not. Too much oil will cause this same problem. It's a simple thing to overlook, but it happens.