BLADES WON'T ENGAGE

HUSTLE-UP

Forum Newbie
Threads
HELP!!! Trying to get the lawn done before more rain comes in! I have a 2013 Hustler 60" Super Z (77 hrs)... was just tooling along when all of a sudden the blades disengaged and now won't re-engage. belts are fine any ideas?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check wire harness at PTO clutch & see if it is disconnected. Alternator on engine under flywheel keeps battery charged up, with just 77 hrs. alternator should be good, you may want to consider purchasing a battery tender about $25 for your new battery. First see section 9 page 1 in manual below, blades do not rotate, check these items first.

https://www.hustlerturf.com/file/113957.pdf see pages 9, 10 & 11 in section 4 of this manual regarding clutch adjustment. wiring diagram is section 7 page 1.

https://www.hustlerturf.com/file/375543_0606.pdf

You're quite welcome, let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

HUSTLE-UP

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey thanks Mark for replying so fast!

I did check all connections all was good there but my battery was dead as a door nail and after doing some reading I guess the PTO is a hell of a draw on the battery. So I will be off to pick one of those up first thing tomorrow, fingers crossed.
Thanks again.

Have_Blue

Threads
Hey thanks Mark for replying so fast!

I did check all connections all was good there but my battery was dead as a door nail and after doing some reading I guess the PTO is a hell of a draw on the battery. So I will be off to pick one of those up first thing tomorrow, fingers crossed.
Thanks again.

Mowers are very hard on batteries, they really take a pounding because of the lack of suspension. Sitting all winter is part of the reason they often fail in 2 years. Maybe some day lithium ion batteries will be an affordable option, they can take the G forces and sitting.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Jump start the mower and check the output from the alternator.
Unless you are in the very bad habit of not running with the engine at full throttle the alternator should be able to run the PTO and recharge the battery.
If you do not measure 13V to 15V at the battery with the engine running you have a problem in the charging circuit.
On ZTR's it is usually corrosion as the wiring sits out there exposed .
If it is a Kohler check the earth straps that go between the rectifryer and a cowel bolt.
It is a flat strap and breaks easily.