Honda 160cc ARCS Only Runs When Choke is On

russ.stevenson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All,

I bet this has been asked before, but I can't find it, so here goes. Yard Man self propelled. This mower has never given me any trouble. It's a 2007. I cut the grass last week and it ran perfectly, like it always has. Today I set the choke lever and it started on the first pull, just like always. But when the choke lever went to the off position the engine started surging like never before and finally stalled. It will only run with the choke on.

Can someone please tell me what's happening with the motor?
Time for a new carb?

Thanks Very Much,
Russell

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello All,

I bet this has been asked before, but I can't find it, so here goes. Yard Man self propelled. This mower has never given me any trouble. It's a 2007. I cut the grass last week and it ran perfectly, like it always has. Today I set the choke lever and it started on the first pull, just like always. But when the choke lever went to the off position the engine started surging like never before and finally stalled. It will only run with the choke on.

Can someone please tell me what's happening with the motor?
Time for a new carb?

Thanks Very Much,
Russell

The Honda ARCS is semi-automatic choke. You pull back on the lever, which closes the choke, and it has a mechanical delay device that slowly opens the choke within a short bit of time.

In this case, it sounds like the system is not allowing the choke to open, which would cause rich / rough running engine.

There is an inspection and repair procedure in a Honda Service Bulletin; I'd be happy to share it with you if you'll send me a PM with your email address.

russ.stevenson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks very much for the replies.

I ended up buying a new carb and gaskets. I finished the install just a few minutes ago. It started on the first pull and continued running after the choke opened, so I think it's good. I am about to go mow, so we shall see. I must say it was a challenge getting the gaskets and plate and linkage and hoses back on. I finally got it, though.

Thanks Again,
Russell