First Post,,, About Paint, Grasshopper

user4579

Threads
Good Evening All! I am retired now and at age 60 I finally bought a decent lawn mower instead of $999.00 new plastic and tin. What I bought is a used Grasshopper Zero turn mower 61" deck. I mow under a half acre and this does it very fast! But it has a couple problems. First is rust, mostly on the outside of the deck. The dealer wanted about $19 for a 6 oz. spray can of touch up paint. So my first question is what spray can paint might match the brown and the tan on the mower? Or does anyone have a paint code #? Second is the engine governor doesn't work. Kohler CH20. I know how to adjust them by opening the throttle all the way and turning the gov shaft counterclockwise all the way and tighten up locking bolt. Or is this engine different than all the other engines I have worked on? Thanks in advance for your help! Steve

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi Steve. Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I'm going to move your thread over to the Grasshopper section to see if we can find you some help.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Paint no idea.
Governor is:
When you open throttle to full you turn the governor shaft the same direction that the throttle moved.

user4579

Threads
Paint no idea.
Governor is:
When you open throttle to full you turn the governor shaft the same direction that the throttle moved.

THANKS for the response! And yes Sir that is what I did. Same thing for almost all small engines. I wonder if something broke inside the engine? Looks like a total tear down to get inside just to check it. With the linkage removed, the governor shaft turns freely.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You might try Tractor Supply Company for the paint. They do have a lot of the tractor colors. Then it also depends on how fussy you are on matching the color. Napa will custom match colors but you pay for that service and will find that 19 dollars a can isn't that bad.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
THANKS for the response! And yes Sir that is what I did. Same thing for almost all small engines. I wonder if something broke inside the engine? Looks like a total tear down to get inside just to check it. With the linkage removed, the governor shaft turns freely.

It should only move a little then stop. Sounds like something is broke like you said.

user4579

Threads
Yeah, Looks like in the engine view that it will be a total tear down just to get to it. So I guess I'll keep using it till winter then just go for a total rebuild on the engine. Then with good care and service it should last as long as I'll be around. Really Love this machine, wish I would have bought something like this years ago instead of the cheaper riders that never lasted very long. I sure would have been money ahead by buying one of these years ago. Thanks for your help! Steve

173abn

Threads
Steve,I bought a can of that paint when I bought my mower. I think 5yrs ago.I'm saving it for emergencies...russ

user4579

Threads
Yeah, don't know what is so special about the paint that it has to be so expensive. reynoldston suggested Tractor Supply Co. I'm heading to town in the morning so I'll check them out.

BWH

Threads
The problem with the aerosol paint is that it scratches very easily. I had a new deck cover bent to replace the original one when I added a blower and had to shorten the lid, then used a spray can from Grasshopper to paint the lid, it looked good for a year or two then it started to look scratched up as the paint never seemed to get as hard as factory paint. I agree it all depends what your expecting to get from the paint? if its long term, mixing and air spraying commercial paint is the only thing that will hold up plus they have computer programs that look at your color and can then mix a very close duplicate color.