Repairs Weed Eater WE261 Starting Problem

KDS

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need help with a WE261. I am trying to do some trouble shooting for a neighbor. This is their mower.

Here is the situation:

The mower will not start and run using the key start or pull start as it should. The key start will crank the starter but the mower will not run. The pull start just spins the engine. It will not start it.The only way I can start it and keep it running is to disconnect the white striped black wire and use the pull start (I suppose the white striped black wire has something it do with the safety switches). After making that disconnection, I use the pull start and run the mower will run as long as needed. Once running the only way to shut the mower off is to reconnect the white striped black wire. It doesn’t matter in what position the key is in.

This is what has been done so far:

The fuses have been checked and they are all ok. The three safety switches have been checked, two have been replaced - the third checked out ok. I know the ignition switch works because it will crank the starter.

I would like to get the mower to start, run and shut off the way it should. I need help. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

cj65m

Forum Newbie
Threads
i got one thats doing the same thing but when i get it started it will run about 15 mins, and die and u got to wait about 15 mins and it will start back for another 15 mins and die again , i abount to bypass all the safety swithches on it and see what thats does for it , any ideas what it may be doin to run like that , and does it have to have the battery to make it run right

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usual solutions to that problem
1) undo fuel cap. problem goes away = blocked vent in cap
2) check for spark. No spark when hot - dud coil

KDS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I took the mower apart and found that the problem was coming from the tube frame welds being broken from the angle brackets at the back end where the everything bolts together at the rear wheels. The weld brakes allowed the frame to flex enough so that the breakline safety switch could not be activated so that the mower would start. That is why I had to disconect the safey switch black wire to get it to run.

Anyway, I got the frame and brackets rewelded and put it all back together. It now runs like new.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well I took the mower apart and found that the problem was coming from the tube frame welds being broken from the angle brackets at the back end where the everything bolts together at the rear wheels. The weld brakes allowed the frame to flex enough so that the breakline safety switch could not be activated so that the mower would start. That is why I had to disconect the safey switch black wire to get it to run.

Anyway, I got the frame and brackets rewelded and put it all back together. It now runs like new.

Well done.
That qualifies you for a Sherlock Homes award