Walk behind Restoration HR215 SXA

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK that answers the question, I will need to spec. and determine from tolerances. Hopefully I will only need to lightly hone the cylinder.

FYI, the oversize rings I listed are in MILLIMETERS, not decimal inches. So the size of the '.25' ring set is 0.25 mm larger than stock, '.50' is 0.50 mm larger than stock, etc.

The factory shop manual has complete inspection procedures to check the rings, gaps, sizes, tolerances, etc.

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

primerbulb120

Threads
Sorry not to offend, I have seen the difference inside the motors, double ringed, forged pistons, chromium cylinders and are manufactured to last extended usage hours. I was tired of equipment not working as well most folks will send to trash and was something simple wrong or just needed proper care and maintenance. Thank you the kind comment.

No offense, I know what you mean. The newer Homelite weedeaters don't even have air filters! :laughing:

You are really going the extra mile to make these machines perfect. They look like they came right off the showroom floor. I enjoy reading your thread and watching these old machines come back to life. I think you would enjoy reading this thread: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/5601-My-Lawn-Mower-Repair-Thread-(56k-warning)

wfsway

Threads
Robert, I just purchased the shop manual with Supplements Y & Z from Honda Power Equipment. I was concentrating on the transmission and maybe missed the piston ring details ? Also I have rebuilt the rear axle adjusters with sealed bearings, so far they are working great. This is the only Achilles heel with these machines. See photo.DSCN1017.JPGDSCN1028.JPG

wfsway

Threads
Thank you primerbulb for the link that is so cool to me, I really understand that guy.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert, I just purchased the shop manual with Supplements Y & Z from Honda Power Equipment. I was concentrating on the transmission and maybe missed the piston ring details ?

All the piston/rings/bore/crank etc. inspection and service specs are in the DISASSEMBLY and SERVICE part of the manual in the "CRANKSHAFT/PISTON" section. The actual "MAINTENANE STANDARDS" including service limits are in the SERVICE INFORMATION chapter, in the MAINTENANCE STANDARDS chart:

29544697240_f827231860_o.png

primerbulb120

Threads
Also I have rebuilt the rear axle adjusters with sealed bearings, so far they are working great. This is the only Achilles heel with these machines. See photo.View attachment 29981View attachment 29982

You are so completely right about that! And it's not just the HR215 mowers, the HRR and HRX series don't have bearings either. It's a major headache for me, I use my HRR216VKA commercially and I have to re-lubricate or replace the axle bushings every month to keep the wheels from locking up when I try to pull the mower backwards. If Honda would put in sealed bearings instead of bushings, I think their mowers would be as close to perfect as mowers can get.

primerbulb120

Threads
Thank you primerbulb for the link that is so cool to me, I really understand that guy.

You're welcome! That thread has to be one of the best on this forum. I'm using that rubbing compound trick on a regular basis to restore the paint on the mowers I sell.

You might also enjoy this one:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/24676-My-mower-repair-thread

I would make a thread to chronicle my mower projects, but I don't have the patience to take pictures as I go and post them on the forum. (If you search the forum you'll see that I've actually tried 3 times, but I've never been able to keep a thread going once I started it.:laughing:)

wfsway

Threads
Robert, thank you for the Maintenance Standards and direction. You are a great asset to the forum.:thumbsup:

wfsway

Threads
Here is another set of axle adjusters that I reworked. These bearings were for Honda Baja and worked even better. I finished the adjuster close tolerance and put both items in the freezer, then press fit for the final result.
DSCN1105[1].JPGDSCN1109[1].JPG