Walk behind Restoration HR215 SXA

onedivinemower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your sweetness is my weakness. Outstanding job on the restoration, but you have to replace the cable zip ties with black ones. C'mon on now.

Last edited:

wfsway

Threads
Hey Folks

Update to thread, starting another Restoration. I found 1994 Masters 5.0 to begin new restoration. The SX transmission was almost ruined so presently pulled apart and checked changed fluid and will need weld repair to the axle shaft. Just confirming full functionality.

DSCN0984.JPGDSCN0983.JPG

wfsway

Threads
Does anyone know how to determine the ring sizes in the 5.0 Masters engine (GXV140) before taking it apart. The unit is the HR215K1 SXA and lists multiple options for piston rings such as .25, .50, .75.

primerbulb120

Threads
If you give Robert@Honda the engine serial number, he could probably find it for you.

I wish you lived closer, I'd give you an old HR215 HX to restore. Don't have the time, money or patience to do it myself. :laughing: I don't need it anyway, I've got a customized HRR216VKA and love it.

wfsway

Threads
Yes I will try that with the engine serial number, I was preparing to order some parts to begin after mowing season. I do work on the mowers in the evenings, I have learned so much and enjoy productive activity. I also rebuild vintage trimmers such as Shindaiwa, McCulloch anything higher quality because the consumer stuff is junk and not worth any time.

DSCN0936.JPG

primerbulb120

Threads
Yes I will try that with the engine serial number, I was preparing to order some parts to begin after mowing season. I do work on the mowers in the evenings, I have learned so much and enjoy productive activity. I also rebuild vintage trimmers such as Shindaiwa, McCulloch anything higher quality because the consumer stuff is junk and not worth any time.

Nice!

I don't have a lot of high-end equipment to work on, so I restore low-end equipment instead. :laughing:

wfsway

Threads
Sorry not to offend, I have seen the difference inside the motors, double ringed, forged pistons, chromium cylinders and are manufactured to last extended usage hours. I was tired of equipment not working as well most folks will send to trash and was something simple wrong or just needed proper care and maintenance. Thank you the kind comment.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone know how to determine the ring sizes in the 5.0 Masters engine (GXV140) before taking it apart. The unit is the HR215K1 SXA and lists multiple options for piston rings such as .25, .50, .75. (which are the available 'oversize' dimensions in mm (NOT decimal inches!))

Don't know the original ring size, but the .25/.50/.75 are the optional 'oversize' rings Honda offers for the engine, in the case that the cylinder is heavily worn or scored, and you bore it out and increase the size/diameter of the cylinder. Use the appropriate oversize ring to compensate for the larger bore and provide proper compression.

The 'std' ring is listed in in the catalog under four part numbers, but two are superceeded and the other two fit all versions of the GXV140 / Master's mower engine, Honda part number 13010-ZG9-003.

Last edited:

wfsway

Threads
OK that answers the question, I will need to spec. and determine from tolerances. Hopefully I will only need to lightly hone the cylinder.