Are some bees ok to kill and others we should spare?

Greenblades

Threads
I asked before in a different thread if we should kill bees. A lot of people said no, but I also noticed that some people will kill some bees and not others. Is there only one or two types of bees we should be protecting because of the drastic decline in the super important pollinating bee populations, or is it all species of bees we should consider sacred to prevent some sort of pollination apocalypse?

You know what I mean? Is it only one specific species dying that we need to avoid killing, or are all bees important, and disappearing, and thus all bees should be left alone unless absolutely necessary?

RockHound

Threads
The only insects I will deliberately kill are waspers and yellow jackets which are not endangered. They also will sting the devil out of you and can cause a lot of problems if you are allergic. Honey bees are relatively benign if left alone to do their own thing. Wasps and yellow jackets actively sting if even marginally disturbed. Nasty little buggers.

mystreba

Threads
I agree with Rockhound, although wasps are not bees. Both are members of the same order - Hymenoptera. But bees (carpenter bees, bumble bees and honey bees) are fuzzy and therefore are able to pollinate very effectively since the pollen sticks to their "hairs". Wasps (yellow jackets, paper wasps, hornets) are not fuzzy, so although they do pollinate they are not considered important in that respect. Wasps are more important for control of other insects - pesty insects like flies, and insects like caterpillars that can harm plants.

Bees are generally docile until provoked. Their stingers are barbed in such a way that it becomes trapped in human skin and subsequently dislodges itself from the bee - the bee then dies.

Wasps are generally aggressive and need little provocation to sting. Their stingers are also barbed but in a way that is generally more painful - however, the stinger doesn't become trapped in our skin so the wasp is free to sting again and again.

My general rule of thumb is to live and let live until their presence becomes some sort of issue. When someone gets stung (usually the kids), or when carpenter bees chew up all the fascia boards on your eaves, it may be time to intervene.

Whenever I have had to take a nest out, I generally wait until after dusk when the bees are inside the nest and calm. You can also use smoke to confuse them and dull their senses while you spray.

173abn

Threads
I've been stung by carpenter bees,they have a nasty habit of going for your head and can put a hurtin on you in a hurry.yellow jackets and brown wasps also have a mean disposition.they like to build their nests in the loft of my barn so whenever I go up into it I'm on alert.I usually leave all alone unless they are where I need to be ,thats when the spray comes out. russ

mystreba

Threads
Getting stung by carpenter bees is actually pretty rare. The male carpenter bee has no stinger, but will act very aggressive (like, getting right up in your face) if you get near its nest. The female carpenter bee will sting, but usually only if extremely provoked.

Not sure how to tell them apart. I think the male will generally be observed working on his "honey do" list.

173abn

Threads
if you get stung by them then you know which is which.the carptener bees I 'm talking about are black and white.I had an old stump I used to mow around ,that's how I found out about those critters.I had to burn the stump to get rid of em. russ

gator6x4

Forum Newbie
Threads
For good information on what bees/hornets/wasp, etc, we may encounter while outdoors go to this web site. At the bottom of the page various bee/wasp/hornet types are listed. Click on one of these and you will receive a picture. 173abn from the description provided it sounds like you encountered the Bald Faced Hornet.

http://www.greensmiths.com/bees.htm

173abn

Threads
on checking my book I guess they were more yellow,Xylocopa ,subfamilyXylocopinae.Xylocopa virginica.haven't seen them around in a few years,I also had these critters that were knawing holes in my ceder soffits that resembled large bumblebees but after killing a few dozen I finally ID em as hover flies,Volucella Bombylans .they aren't bees so no sting but very destructive .they started showing up 5yrs ago.this past winter I tore all my cedar soffits out and they were riddled with their tunnels.the females lay eggs and then jam cakes of pollen in the tunnels.I replaced all the soffits with aluminun.I did notice the males hovering around my barn.they seem to set up territories and fight with other males . I have to wage war on them all the time because of their nesting behaviors. russ

Stevie-Ray

Threads
I just got stung in the back by a hornet a couple weeks ago; not fun. Only good wasp is a dead wasp.