Clutch/Brake action in 30" rear engine unit

JayColo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
I've been looking at a 96 30" rear engine Murray, model# 30545x92A with a 8hp Tecumseh engine for sale.
Nice and clean, but I noticed that the clutch engages instantly, almost popping a wheelie, even in first gear. No give it all, despite repeated attempts. Add a load of clippings in the catcher, and I believe this could potentially be dangerous behavior.

Secondly, the brake doesn't seem to firmly engage. I stepped fully on the pedal while in 1st gear, but even on a gradual slope, it took a few feet to stop. I assume this is not normal behavior, but did not have the opportunity to do a closer inspection underneath the mower.

When I brought these items up to the seller, he said it must be a break-in period for a new belt. Although he didn't mention any new parts when I asked him earlier.

What I'm asking is whether these symptoms could be related and an indication of a major problem or simply adjustments. Or normal behavior.

He's asking a premium, and the brake/clutch symptoms are a deal breaker. Any suggestions on what to look for or ask would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay