Raptor SD 54" (initial 5 hr oil change)

Datadave

Threads
OK- I need to change the oil & filter (Raptor SD 54" w/Kohler KT740) but
I am not sure that I can fit my fat hands into the area between the engine and the fender.
Would it be practical to remove the fender to make room to do the job and make cleanup easier?
If so how difficult is it to remove and replace the plastic fender? Just a quick look says it is easy to do.
Good idea or not?

Thanks
Do it yourself Dave

Gringeaux

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a filter wrench for my 5 hours change. Problem was the filter was waaay over tightened from factory I had to pierce the filter with an awl and make two complete revolutions before I could remove by hand.

The cap filter wrench works just fine with a swivel attachment for your ratchet drive.

kraky

Threads
Throw away bed pads from the store cut into little pieces and slid under the filter for pulling the filter off work really nice to catch a lot of the gunk too.

577jersey

Threads
Too bad its not a kawi...you can stick a tuna can under the little funnel they have by the filter and catch all the oil when the filter drains...great idea!!!
I hear the Kohler is a mess and nightmare to change oil on...good luck

Datadave

Threads
Thanks Guys! for all the help

Gringexau: My filter was so tight I believe someone used an impact wrench to put it on. My cap filter wrench would only slip.
I used a nylon strap type with the 1/2" drive (like this one) and it crushed the filter way before it loosened. "Totally Ridiculous"
strap wrench.jpg
-
kraky: I just folded up a few cheap paper towels and had no spills. I had some like these but can't find them. will get more for
next time.
absorbant pads.jpg
-
577jersey: The Kohler was not the "mess and nightmare" as you hear. The space under the filter is plenty of room for absorbent
pads. A shallow pan may work but I was working in 98 degrees in July in North East Florida (my brain just stopped workinh) :confused2:

Datadave

Threads
Who installs the filters on the engines for Hustler?
Is it the engine manufacturer? Is it done at the Hustler factory? or done at the dealer?
The reason I ask is Because someone needs extensive training just after a good butt kicking :mad:
If i had not previously read the experiences of Gringeaux I would have been in total shock.

Also: Why go so stingy with the oil drain hose? I had it crimped an half way off the drain nipple
to reach over the Hydro drive brace. (didn't want to clean oil off the brace you know).
It needed to be at least 1" longer - 3 to 4" would have been better.
Gee-wiz - - -> how low will the bean counters go????

Oh By The Way
I did have plenty of room to get to the oil filter and drain valve - after removing the right side fender.
Four small bolts and it pops off. loosened the control panel and I was able to slide the fender out far
enough to easily get to everything. I could not maneuver the control panel out of the fender section
without taking off the throttle bracket - but when you get the room you need and it is 98 degrees -
why go any further :cool:

Thanks again
Dave

577jersey

Threads
Bobcat uses the Kawi FR on there CRZ model,they have a really nice drain hose built in to the engine,it flips down off a clamp,,Im going to see if i can get one from a Bobcat dealer and just bolt it on my FR :)

kraky

Threads
I've seen that on your bobcat.... it makes too much sense LOL. When I had my raptor SD I went to the hardware store and got A 3' foot chunk of hose with the right size inside diameter to slip onto the nipple firmly.... then I just fed it through the frame and out by the discharge chute where I had my oil pan... I parked slightly downhill and it worked perfectly.
My new Fast Track has a drain short drain hose that does a complete 180 and faces towards the back where it can drip out of a hole in the frame...

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Who installs the filters on the engines for Hustler?
Is it the engine manufacturer? Is it done at the Hustler factory? or done at the dealer?
The reason I ask is Because someone needs extensive training just after a good butt kicking :mad:
If i had not previously read the experiences of Gringeaux I would have been in total shock.

Also: Why go so stingy with the oil drain hose? I had it crimped an half way off the drain nipple
to reach over the Hydro drive brace. (didn't want to clean oil off the brace you know).
It needed to be at least 1" longer - 3 to 4" would have been better.
Gee-wiz - - -> how low will the bean counters go????

Oh By The Way
I did have plenty of room to get to the oil filter and drain valve - after removing the right side fender.
Four small bolts and it pops off. loosened the control panel and I was able to slide the fender out far
enough to easily get to everything. I could not maneuver the control panel out of the fender section
without taking off the throttle bracket - but when you get the room you need and it is 98 degrees -
why go any further :cool:

Thanks again
Dave

Engine manufacturer is responsible for the engine, not the mower manufacturer.

Datadave

Threads
Engine manufacturer is responsible for the engine, not the mower manufacturer.
Thanks Ric, I wasn't sure but I had to rant a little - Not going on the attack or anything like that :mur:

So what size is the cheap plastic pipe? I'm guessing 1/2" (ID)
I will pick up a piece from the hardware store before my next oil change

Last edited: