FREE Air Filter element material.

Pumper54

Threads
fabricgator,

Funny that he sold his H-D for a Goldwing. I have several friends that ride 'wings and are vary happy with them. In Nov 1979 I rode my 1977 Harley from Jacksonville, N.C. to El Paso Texas and did it in 5 days. Now that was a boring ride. 55 mph all the way. I have ridden from the Houston Texas are to Maine before, several trips to FLA and New Orleans on my bikes. Have been up to Wyoming and across Texas many times. The newer bikes ride much smoother then my '77.
My 1977 Shovel (2).jpg
my 1998 100_2574.jpg
My 2012 Rojo w black primary 1.jpg
Tom

upupandaway

Threads
Hey guys,

...air filter. It is a foam type, oiled,...

And it's free!!

I know this is an old post but the other day this post came to mind. I wandered behind a Hobby Lobby store and next to bundled cardboard boxes were boxes of 4ftx4ft of foam sheets being recycled.

I say this because ive been using similar packing foam for computer hardware for my filters and they don't break down (4 years knock on wood).

I cant say this won't break down in a few months after touching gas being i just found it and haven't tested it but if anyone is interested, here u go.

(fabricgator- from an A&P dropout - switched to sw developer...)

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only bad thing about using stuff that wasn't designed to be an air filter in the first place is that you don't have any idea of what size particles it will pass. It may look like an air filter but might only filter really big chunks of dirt.

I would use it if nothing else was available, but if the regular filter IS available, I'll stick with that.

upupandaway

Threads
Only bad thing about using stuff that wasn't designed to be an air filter
Maybe, Maybe not.

It is not swiss cheese, it filters fine.
It is not documented to be the exact same foam but i'll bet you if i cut 1 piece of each material this and 1 from the briggs foam filter on my tiller bet you couldn't tell which is which.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know I couldn't. The human eye can't see anything below 40 microns in size and real air filters are after particles half that size.

Thanks, but I'll pass on the free filter material. I can't afford it.

upupandaway

Threads
I know I couldn't. The human eye can't see anything below 40 microns in size and real air filters are after particles half that size.

Thanks, but I'll pass on the free filter material. I can't afford it.

Yes. then I and alot of other Stihl chainsaw owners on other forums with hard felt material as their filter will take the cheap route...

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
No problem. You can have my share.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your saw sucks somewhere between 300 & 600 litres of air every minute.
Or to put it in a way you can visualize it sucks between a big one door fridge and a side by side 2 door fridge of air.
If the filter is too fine it generates carbon which builds up on the exhaust port then drops off into the cylinder scoring the barrels and turning the saw into scrap metal.
If the filter is too course it sucks dust into the engine to abrade all of the machined surfaces and allow the fixed jet models to run too lean, overheat and again destroy the saw.
All this to save $ 10 , it is a no brainer.
Now if you are using a single use garbage China made saw , well fine cause you have factored in the fact that it will only last one season.
If it is a $ 99 China made Stihl, then fine again but why would you jepodise a $ 300 + saw to save $ 10 on a filter ?