FREE Air Filter element material.

fabricgator

Threads
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share something. My old lawnboy filter was deteriorating, I found someone selling them on ebay years ago. WAIT FOR IT... you probably already know.

Well, I got a pack of about 20 of them for 20 dollars. Junk!

After a season, I went to check/clean it and it had shrunk, crumbled, really hated that I had ever discarded my OEM OMC element.
The 19 other ones were junk in the ziplock I was storing them in.

I am an aircraft mechanic. Cessna, Piper, Mooney and others, there is an approved aftermarket induction air filter called Bracket air filter. It is a foam type, oiled, in an aluminum frame, and it catches everything.
Every aircraft (the ones that are certified to fly) has to replace this foam at least every year if not every 100 hours of flight time for a commercial airplane like a flight school. They throw these things away about 5 a week at the place I used to work.

I am using a piece of this and couldn't be happier. I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that if you went to any airport mechanic shop or flight school, and asked the mechanics for a few of those elements, they would gladly give them to you. Ask for a BA4108 or a BA6108 for the Cessna 150, 152, 170, 172, 182, etc. This is already 3/4 inch thick about 6" x 6" Cut it, wash it with a little gasoline and a shot of K&N filter oil and your back in business. A little 10w-30 diluted with gasoline will work in place of special filter oil too. Just let the gas evaporate out after you oil it.

Or just cut it and use it as you get it, You will be able to see what side to put towards the engine.

If it is clean and you can not tell, there is the part number printed on the engine side. Also, the engine side may show 1/4" screen pattern from being in the aluminum frame all year.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Good tip and thanks for sharing.
However as a lisenced aircraft mechanic it is mystifing why you would even think of fitting unbranded uncertified parts from the web .
I would assume that Aircraft parts in the USA are the same as parts down here and are numbered individually so they can be traced back to the factory which was brought in because of the failure of inferiour parts or even worse the reuse of parts that were past their certified hours.

Pumper54

Threads
Bert,
I think he was talking about buying the junk mower filters online not the A/C filters. The F.A.A. is VERY strict on what you can and can not put on aircraft here.
Tom

fabricgator

Threads
:welcome:

Good tip and thanks for sharing.
However as a lisenced aircraft mechanic it is mystifing why you would even think of fitting unbranded uncertified parts from the web .
I would assume that Aircraft parts in the USA are the same as parts down here and are numbered individually so they can be traced back to the factory which was brought in because of the failure of inferiour parts or even worse the reuse of parts that were past their certified hours.

You got me there Bert,
Worse is I am also and OMC mechanic....l

My experience was from 10 years ago prior to my apprenticeship to become FAA certified.
I learned how to fix cars, boats, small engines as a adolescent young adult, because I really could not afford to pay anyone to do the work. Now that I am older and a little more financially responsible and secure, I can afford to pay someone. What I find is that because I know better, I am usually disappointed with the work others do and I realize that I could chunk that up just as good as that other guy.

Becoming an FAA certified aircraft mechanic really polished my abilities. I remember after a few years working at the airport, we were going to go on vacation with a motorhome (think you'd call it a caravan) I have had for years. When I went under the (hood) to check the fluids, I found several things that were not airworthy nor up to my current standard. My perception of what was acceptable and dependable has changed from then to now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yeah,
I occasionaly go riding with an ex Hawker-Dehaviland engineering clerk who was in the parts scheduling - use-reuse circus.
He can not get it out of his system so every time I give him a bolt the instant question is "Where did it come from" :laughing:
He wont so much as fit an air filter to his bike if the filter itself does not have a makers name / trademark stamped into it.

fabricgator

Threads
Yeah,
I occasionaly go riding with an ex Hawker-Dehaviland engineering clerk who was in the parts scheduling - use-reuse circus.
He can not get it out of his system so every time I give him a bolt the instant question is "Where did it come from" :laughing:
He wont so much as fit an air filter to his bike if the filter itself does not have a makers name / trademark stamped into it.

Now, here I am going to contradict myself, because I have always been a Yamaha parts for my Yamaha guy. I do not do aftermarket anything when it comes to my motorcycle. That piece of equipment was engineered to get me there and back if I respect the equipment. That and take the approach that everything out there is out to get me and I am wholly responsible to look out for all the hazards. My cycle is like my parachute and no one but me packs my chute.

Pumper54

Threads
fabricgator

When I work on my Harley's I try to use the best available part to replace or repair the broken/missing part. I have come to see that most major manufacturers will use the cheapest parts available to build a product and that there are after market parts available that is in fact better then the OEM ones. In some cases the OEM parts are the only ones I will run but try finding NOS parts for a 1977 Harley much less some of my friends 1940-1950 ones. Heck I have made a few parts before because I needed something that was not available for both my bikes and my mowers.

I also ride like I am invisible and everyone out there is trying to kill me. 40+ years and so far no one has gotten me. Knock on wood.
Tom

fabricgator

Threads
Tom,
I've been flying rice for years, since I was a kid even.

I find Yamaha my favorite with Honda 2nd. Harley was loud, obnoxious, and not as quick on the throttle as I was used to. Maybe just the models I have ridden. Suzuki was cold natured and never rode Suzuki, Dakati, BMW on or off road.

I just high revving precision and that is probably from being an Evinrude and LawnBoy guy from pert near day one...

I have tried many over the counter (other than OEM) equipment and very rarely do I find anything that is a reliable improvement over stock. Maybe I am just a purist.

Ride safe Tom and keep the shiny side up!

Pumper54

Threads
fabricgator,
I have ridden rice before, first street bike was a 77 Kawi KZ650 and I got more speeding tickets on it then I have had all total. Traded that in on my 1977 Harley which I still have. I really don't have a "need for speed" and I just like my Harleys but I respect all rider except those asshats who insist on stunting on the streets.

Ride safe and get out in the wind when you can.
Tom

fabricgator

Threads
Tom,

A co worker years ago, he told a story about how he and 5 friends set out to ride across the country on their Harley Davidson's from Indiana. I guess they headed out west first. He said after a day, that he went and traded his ride in on a new Goldwing and finished out the trip with them on it.

I my grandmother was in Ormond Beach, just north of Daytona. I remember bike week from many years as I was growing up. I have always been impressed by the shiny chrome, loud pipes, and bikini clad girl ornaments on the back... And every so often hanging onto the handlebars and rolling the throttle.

Mow safe!