Walker Shuts off. Please HELP!

NJ-Vince

Forum Newbie
Threads
HI,
I have a Walker 20HP GHS. Yesterday I mowed my lawn fine until the very end. All of a sudden the motor shut off. I thought I had hit the key with my leg. Tried it again and every time I either engage the deck OR move forward the motor shuts off. I had to go in reverse to get back into my garage. If I pull the PTO back partway the deck works fine until I lock it in, then the motor shuts off. IS this an easy fix? What do I do. Thank you in advance. Vince

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
HI,
I have a Walker 20HP GHS. Yesterday I mowed my lawn fine until the very end. All of a sudden the motor shut off. I thought I had hit the key with my leg. Tried it again and every time I either engage the deck OR move forward the motor shuts off. I had to go in reverse to get back into my garage. If I pull the PTO back partway the deck works fine until I lock it in, then the motor shuts off. IS this an easy fix? What do I do. Thank you in advance. Vince

You have an electrical problem....possibly with one of the safety switches.

Check your owners manual and see which safety switches you have.

If you have it running and you lift up off the seat...does it die?

Were you mowing when it shut off...or you had stopped for some reason and were starting back up.

Last edited:

pauly50

Threads
hi

with a mc 20 ghs kohler i presume - as you mentioned most likley a safty switch or connection - for a isolation of problem ---- the seat switch problem will only come into play when the blades are engaged , fooling the system to act as if you are not on the seat , the nuetral switch will come into play for starting purposes and should be open when using the mower as per normal ,and be closed for start circuit contact when starting on key === the blade engage switch should be normally closed when using the cutting deck and you are sitting on the seat if the blades were to engage and you are not on the seat , likley seat switch - so check seat and blade switches carefully , but also note that timer relay and the relay under the timer could also be the culprit they are also tied in with both these safty switches - also do a visual inspection of your wiring for short circuits , broken wires, check all the wires back to the main switch too

cheers hope this helps

pauly50