Needing new mower, about to go crazy!

rash3d

Threads
go to amazon, you will find tons of cheapest and from best sellers

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I wouldn't buy a mower from anyone other than a local dealer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Double ditto on that and I only fix mower I do not sell them.

The retailers that have no of the expensive overheads which the customer will need to keep their mowers running continually force prices down.
While you might get your mower a few dollars cheaper you are materially adding to the demise of all local manufacturing & local jobs.

Talk to a few local dealers who know the local climate the local grasses and the local terrain so are in the best position to sell you the mower that you need rather than the one they can make the most money on.
If you can have a look at their workshop, lots of technicians working on older mowers is a good sign.
Vast expanses of open space with no mowers or people or nothing but obviously cheap labour assembling new mowers out of crates in a bad sign.

claystroyer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I highly suggest getting a machine with a Kawasaki engine!:thumbsup: It is the most durable engine!!:laughing:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will say stay away from the Kawasaki engines. Gas hogs. Oil burners.
Put a 25hp Kawasaki and a kohlor 20hp on the same mower and the one with the kohlor will Out perform the other one.

The Kawasaki power curve is to big.
They cost more.
Parts cost more. And you will need parts.

stephan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking to buy a new mower, new yard is around 1.3-1.5 acres (flat). Ive researched to the point that im burnt the heck out. Ive been looking between a 52-60", several brands from scag freedom z or liberty, hustler raptor sd, bob cat crz and xrz, husqvarna mz52, and toro timecutter. Looking to spend as close to 4 as possible, the more i save the better but also want something that is gonna last. My yard is flat, no real obstacles. My question is what would leave the best cut? Ive mowed with a standard raptor 52 with kawi 13 model, done pretty good imo for what it was, also have mowed with a 61" tiger cat- also mowed good striped pretty awesome but didnt see that kind of money for the mower as i only plan to mow mine. Looking at something cheaper and doing a diy stripe kit. Any tips? The raptor sd and bobcat crz seem to be the best bang for the buck. Bobcat also sports the fr kawi vs the hustler with the kohler pro. Ive also read some that the cut quality isnt that great on the raptor due to lift being low?

Within given parameters here are some more better options such as, Poulan Pro 967331001 P54ZX Briggs V-Twin Pro 24 HP 54" Cutting Deck, Husqvarna 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower, 54" deck, and Husqvarna 967324301 26 hp Kohler 7000 V-Twin 54" cutting deck ZTR.

droberts16

Forum Newbie
Threads
It pays to do your homework when deciding to invest in a new mower. I mow 10 acres and needed a mower that was not only fast but reliable. Talked to a buddy who worked in the landscaping business and he told me to look at Exmark. That was almost 14 years ago when I purchased my first Exmark Lazer Z. It's been a very reliable mower and I've been able to do all the maintence and service on it myself. When it came time to consider replacement I wanted another one that would give me the same dependability as the first, so naturally I bought another Exmark, this time a Lazer z X series. Upfront cost might be more initially but I don't think I could ever find a big box brand that would hold up like this one has. I figured over the course of its lifetime, so far its cut roughly 30,000 acres of grass.
IMG_3117.jpg
Still going strong after 14 years

IMG_3029.jpg
My new X series Lazer Z

sidemouse

Threads
I know 3 guys that run mowing business that have to replace their mowers every couple of years. At $10,000 to $15,000 per mower. That does not include all the pumps and wheel motors they replace as well.

There is a big difference when you have employees running your machines, I run a mowing business and a new mower lasts me at least 10-15 years but closer to 20 and I have yet to replace a pump or a wheel motor, however I do agree maintenance is critical. Presently my oldest is a 1998 model, over time I have replaced an engine and a deck and a transmission and probably every other major component at least once but I've also learned what causes them to break and in time have gotten better in preventing myself from abusing the machine in such a manner to begin with.

Inexperience, lack of concern (or lack of skin in the game), the trademarks of paid employees running someone else's machines...
I've watched these guys sitting under a tree taking a break, the machine is left running so the hour meter won't stop.
Don't get me wrong, the slave driver wants these kids working in 108 degree temperature without concern as well, I get it.
But if you buy, operate and maintain your own machine I dare say your mileage should increase, theoretically at least.

As for the OP...
See if you can find a dealer who will let you demo a machine.