Needing new mower, about to go crazy!

05maroonv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking to buy a new mower, new yard is around 1.3-1.5 acres (flat). Ive researched to the point that im burnt the heck out. Ive been looking between a 52-60", several brands from scag freedom z or liberty, hustler raptor sd, bob cat crz and xrz, husqvarna mz52, and toro timecutter. Looking to spend as close to 4 as possible, the more i save the better but also want something that is gonna last. My yard is flat, no real obstacles. My question is what would leave the best cut? Ive mowed with a standard raptor 52 with kawi 13 model, done pretty good imo for what it was, also have mowed with a 61" tiger cat- also mowed good striped pretty awesome but didnt see that kind of money for the mower as i only plan to mow mine. Looking at something cheaper and doing a diy stripe kit. Any tips? The raptor sd and bobcat crz seem to be the best bang for the buck. Bobcat also sports the fr kawi vs the hustler with the kohler pro. Ive also read some that the cut quality isnt that great on the raptor due to lift being low?

BoylermanCT

Threads
I'm going to follow this one as I too am burned out shopping for a mower around $4000-$4500. Seems like people say you need to spend a fortune to get a "good" mower! I am tempted to buy a big box zero turn and save 50% since there is no guarantee spending 2X the money will get you a mower that will last twice as long!

05maroonv

Forum Newbie
Threads
^^^I've said that myself, the little standard raptor 52" I mowed with done pretty decent in all honesty. Left some stragglers was my only complaint, but I believe the blades needed sharping as I know he never has and he uses it to mow 3.5 acres. Either that or some good gator blades on it.

BoylermanCT

Threads
I currently use a Craftsman tractor with a Briggs twin cyl engine. It has 500 hours on it and runs perfectly despite everyone saying Craftsman are junk and Briggs are trash! I just want to cut my mowing time in half with a zero turn. I borrowed a Hustler 54" Fastrak and it cut my mowing of 4 acres from 4 hours to two.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I run a 2007 Husqvarna RZ5424 residental mower commercially. Stamped deck. Beautiful cut. Just have to clean under the deck if I mow wet grass. Only thing I have had to fix on it was stuff that I broke. My own stupidity.

05maroonv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hmm I'll look into them. I guess a more easily answered question would be am I looking to much into what transmission etc these mowers have for what I'll be doing?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know 3 guys that run mowing business that have to replace their mowers every couple of years. At $10,000 to $15,000 per mower. That does not include all the pumps and wheel motors they replace as well. Maintenance is where it is at. Keep it running good by changing fluids and grease all the time. I normally change the fluids long before needed(25 hours or so for oil and at the beginning of every season). I grease my spindles after every day of mowing with 2 or 3 squirts. Also the wheels and casters. If they don't have zerks then drill a hole and put them in. You can add a zerk to any thing that moves for ease of greasing. Sealed bearing can be greased. If you really want the grease in the bearing then remove the bearing and pop off the cover on bottom side and put back together. Change belts before they break. They will let you know they need changing you just have to pay attention.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I currently use a Craftsman tractor with a Briggs twin cyl engine. It has 500 hours on it and runs perfectly despite everyone saying Craftsman are junk and Briggs are trash! I just want to cut my mowing time in half with a zero turn. I borrowed a Hustler 54" Fastrak and it cut my mowing of 4 acres from 4 hours to two.

I noticed recently that Sears sells a Fast lawn tractor that has speeds of a ZT and also they have a tight turn.
I enjoy mowing with my John Deere LX277 more than my ZT Dixon
Also, it is hard to push a low limb out of the way or sip your drink when you are using both hands to push levers.

agg5910

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was in the same boat and did a ton of research. When you start comparing mowers that are truly in the same class, comparing apples to apples, most of them are very similar. Fabricated Decks are the same or similar in gauge, Engine Size same (Kawasaki vs Kohler vs Briggs and Stratton), transaxles are same, warranties are same for the most part. I would base my decision on trying the mowers and finding the closest dealer that will offer you good service and carries the parts. This past week I ended up buying a Hustler Raptor SD 54 from a local dealer that has been in business since the 80-'s for $3599. I have only mowed about 30 minutes with it and it has the Kohler 7000 series 25 hp motor, but so far, I love it. I really like the Gravely's, but it would have been $1,000 more for a ZTXL. Good luck....

BoylermanCT

Threads
Agg5910, you got a really good deal on your Raptor SD - $400 off. I did the same thing, brought home a Raptor SD 54 on Saturday, but dealers near me are only discounting $200. It came with the Kawasaki engine. The heat wave in New England has kept the grass from growing, so I have to wait to use it.

I was all set to buy the Husqvarna MZ61, and the local dealer talked me out of it. He said I would not be happy with it. He also sold Hustlers and wanted me to spend $1200 more on a Fastrak. He did not have any Raptor SD's in stock, but would order one for me with the Kohler engine. My budget could not handle the extra cost of the Fastrak, so I went to the other local Hustler dealer who had the Raptor SD with the Kawasaki engine in stock. I added Flex Forks, engine guard, Oregon G5 blades and muffler heat shield.

I am hoping this mower will give me many hours of good service.