Cold Start Problem

rope

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello - first-timer here. I have a question about a 10hp Briggs&Stratton motor on my generator.

It is difficult to start when at ambient temperature - even 70-80*F. Whether choke, no choke, crank - let it sit for 5 min, or give it a good stern talking to.

But if I remove the spark plug and add a small amount of gas to the cylinder - replace the spark plug, it will start, run fine and re-start for the remainder, as long it stays hot.

Any advice/suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks in advance for your in put.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

As you did not think to tell us which model 10Hp B & S engine you have ( there is near 1000 of them ) this will be totally general information.
It may help you or it might make things worse . It might be relevant or it might just be wasting your time.

Check that the valve lash is within specification
On some engines the gap closes up with use & on others it opens up with use, but we don't know which one you have cause you did not tell us.

Also check that the choke is fully closing

Anf further more check there are no air leaks between the inlet valve and the emulsion tube.

rope

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, now I feel stupid...

I checked the choke butterfly and found a brass bushing had lodged in the butterfly preventing it from closing. The bushing is from the air cleaner cover. Once the obstruction was removed - it started on the second pull.

Bertsmoblie1 - thank you for taking the time to reply.

IMG_0456.JPG

Midniteoyl

Threads
Well, now I feel stupid...

I checked the choke butterfly and found a brass bushing had lodged in the butterfly preventing it from closing. The bushing is from the air cleaner cover. Once the obstruction was removed - it started on the second pull.

Bertsmoblie1 - thank you for taking the time to reply.

View attachment 28984

Its always the simple things that get you :)