Kawasaki 18hp very hard to start

danl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 18 HP air cooled v-twin kawasaki in my John Deere LX 288. It will crank and crank , backfire through carb then eventually start. Has new plugs, new fuel filter, 170PSI + compression per cyl, removed walbro carb and cleaned spotless. checked valves and reset to .006". Still same thing..Bad coils?. ohm readings are 11.88 and 11.4. is there a chip or something that retards the timing? Please help

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 18 HP air cooled v-twin kawasaki in my John Deere LX 288. It will crank and crank , backfire through carb then eventually start. Has new plugs, new fuel filter, 170PSI + compression per cyl, removed walbro carb and cleaned spotless. checked valves and reset to .006". Still same thing..Bad coils?. ohm readings are 11.88 and 11.4. is there a chip or something that retards the timing? Please help

when you finally get it started, what does it do?
Are you sure the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carburetor is opening?
Are you sure the choke plate is closing all of the way?

danl

Forum Newbie
Threads
choke plate definately closing all the way. I will check the fuel solenoid and post what I find. Thanks for your fast reply

danl

Forum Newbie
Threads
fuel solenoid pulls in and out properly. Pulled the spark plugs (NGK) again and checked for spark, seemed OK but not great. 3 month old plugs were dark so I put in a new set of Champion plugs. UNBELIEVELY the engine started immediately!!!!!! Runs beautiful. Good power. Starts like it should every time. LESSON LEARNED: Start the repair process with the simple stupid stuff first. Thanks for all the help!

BIGBOYROY

Forum Newbie
Threads
KAWASAKI ENGINE

fuel solenoid pulls in and out properly. Pulled the spark plugs (NGK) again and checked for spark, seemed OK but not great. 3 month old plugs were dark so I put in a new set of Champion plugs. UNBELIEVELY the engine started immediately!!!!!! Runs beautiful. Good power. Starts like it should every time. LESSON LEARNED: Start the repair process with the simple stupid stuff first. Thanks for all the help!
PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO ADJUST THE GOVERNOR ON A KAWASAKI ENGINE. I HAVE A JOHN DEERE X 300, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: KAWASAKI ENGINE

PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO ADJUST THE GOVERNOR ON A KAWASAKI ENGINE. I HAVE A JOHN DEERE X 300, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS

You should ask your new question under a new thread.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: KAWASAKI ENGINE

ROY,
Start a new thread.
Include your mower model number and the Kawakasi model numbers
And please forget the capitals they are hardr to read and considered shouting on the web and no one responds well to being shouted at.