Repairs Rear wheel height adjustment frozen or locked

eomckamey

Threads
Subject mower: Honda Commercial Model #HRC2162HXA, (21" steel deck, Hydrostatic Trans. rear bag. with engine upgrade & Roto-Stop blade brake clutch)
Frame Serial #MAKA-1032635
Engine Ser #GXV160=163cm3
Purch'd. new: 16 July 2007
Problem: Rear Cutting Height Adjustment Levers. Recently have noted rear wheel adjustment levers seem almost "locked"....unable to move lever(s) more than 1 or 2 notches at best. Moving the rear adjustment levers to obtain 3, 3 1/2 or 4" cutting height is impossible! Note: I am familiar with requirement to pull ea. adjustment lever toward the wheel, prior to moving it into another notch etc. Even though moving the lever toward wheel, the lever feels as if totally locked in position...with no actual movement of rear wheel up or down.

I clean (flush with water) after ea. mower use and start and run mower afterwards to try and dry blade/deck etc. I fully realize that a buildup of grass clippings/debris (and I have none present) at the undercarriage/trans. area could prevent free movement of the "rear adjuster axle, adjuster collar" etc.

Yesterday, when attempting to adjust rear wheel height adjuster lever(s), I tried to see any points that could benefit from lubricant....did lubricate same, waited hr. or so, and thankfully, was then able to move the rear height of wheels.

Question(s): a. Is there any recurring problem with subject commercial mowers that require special attention to cleaning, lubricating?
b. Please show me and/or explain/define the specific areas/parts that may freeze?
c. What recommended lubricant best to use? & frequency of same....to somehow preclude this "frozen/locked", rear wheel height adjusting problem?

Thank you!
Ed M.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
This applies to all mowers. Do not use water. Water causes rust and corrosion as you can tell from your problem. But since you want to have the clean mower you need to oil after every wash. I use spray white lithium grease on any part that meets another part that moves.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Problem: Rear Cutting Height Adjustment Levers. Recently have noted rear wheel adjustment levers seem almost "locked"....unable to move lever(s) more than 1 or 2 notches at best.

Ed:

The ratchet holders, seals, adjusting arms and other hardware were subject to a running change in 2010 for this model. The improved parts have a better seal and fit, and will retain grease better. I'd consider updating your mower to the newest versions of those parts, and ensure they are spotlessly clean before applying general purpose NGLI #2 grease as indicated.

Drop me a PM with your email, and I'll send you you a copy of the Service Bulletin from 2010 that describes the changes, parts list, how-to remove an replace, etc.

Here's a 'before and after' drawing:

27907990166_4b18934545_o.png