Why are there such a wide range of reviews good to bad on the same model ?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Why are there such a wide range of reviews good to bad on the same model ?
......I appreciate all the replies, and I understand like with most topics not everyone is going to agree on every point :smile:

Since I do not have loads of money to replace my mower frequently I need to err on the side of caution to try to get the most years possible out of my new mower :smile:

Now I know I can't take that to the extreme, for example - only mow when the grass is dry as toast :smile: .....or else my yard might get occasional long periods without being mowed at all, dry grass is preferable and soaking wet grass might not cut as well as dryer grass, but there will likely be times when the grass is not quite as dry as I would prefer, but I would likely avoid mowing really wet grass.

I guess the bottom line is what works best for my particular model (YTA22V46) as not all mowers are built the same.

Fortunately I only have to mow my own yard, so I don't have to feel pressured to mow soaking wet grass like someone with a lot of regular customers waiting for their yard to get mowed :smile:

For your particular model (YTA22V46) I'd mow when the grass is at it driest and often so your not cutting anything to extremely long. Late Evening is preferred. Keep your grass clippings as short as possible. Short grass clippings decompose faster and will drop to the soil to help in the fertilization needs of the soil instead of lying on top of the lawn and baking. Rule of thumb is not to remove more than 1/3rd of the total height of the grass. Take a look on the net and find out what cutting height is recommended for your type of grass.

GKL

Threads
For your particular model (YTA22V46) I'd mow when the grass is at it driest and often so your not cutting anything to extremely long. Late Evening is preferred. Keep your grass clippings as short as possible. Short grass clippings decompose faster and will drop to the soil to help in the fertilization needs of the soil instead of lying on top of the lawn and baking. Rule of thumb is not to remove more than 1/3rd of the total height of the grass. Take a look on the net and find out what cutting height is recommended for your type of grass.

Thanks for the ideas, being in a semi-rural area next to woods the areas further away from the house tends to be more of a mix of grass and fast growing weeds. It would be nice to be able to put sod in, but with 1 1/2 acres that would be way too expensive :smile:

The initial cut will tend to be of higher grass/weeds as it had been way too hot to keep up with the yard using my push mower while waiting to get the riding mower (we've been having a lot of days with the heat index being from about 105 to 112) Now that I got my riding mower I have been scanning the area with higher grass/weeds for any larger rocks and small tree stumps before cutting those areas. Also lately we've been having just enough rain to limit available mowing days.

Once I get the overall yard back to normal. it will be a lot easier to maintain :smile:

GKL

Threads
Thanks for the ideas, being in a semi-rural area next to woods the areas further away from the house tends to be more of a mix of grass and fast growing weeds. It would be nice to be able to put sod in, but with 1 1/2 acres that would be way too expensive :smile:

The initial cut will tend to be of higher grass/weeds as it had been way too hot to keep up with the yard using my push mower while waiting to get the riding mower (we've been having a lot of days with the heat index being from about 105 to 112) Now that I got my riding mower I have been scanning the area with higher grass/weeds for any larger rocks and small tree stumps before cutting those areas. Also lately we've been having just enough rain to limit available mowing days.

Once I get the overall yard back to normal. it will be a lot easier to maintain :smile:

Okay, the grass was really dry today so I gave my new riding mower the biggest workout so far since I got it not long ago and I am very pleased how it did.

Since the grass/weeds were pretty tall in the main area I focused on I started with a higher cut setting then went back over it with a normal setting and that worked good.

When putting it back in the shed I checked to clean it and was amazed there was only about 2 tiny handfuls of light fluffy dried grass debris in the pulley area, and none felt underneath where the blades are, I guess when the grass is dry enough it simply does not stick.

When reaching around where the pulleys are I found a small rubber part that I am not sure where it goes or even if it is from the tractor or just got picked up out of the grass. Here is a close-up photo in case anyone might recognize if it is from the mower and if so where does it go.

smallpart.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That looks like a seal for the hood of a car or truck. I would think it was from an automobile.

GKL

Threads
That looks like a seal for the hood of a car or truck. I would think it was from an automobile.

Thanks, I asked a local person who works on mowers and they said about the same thing, but that it could have come off the lawnmower hood.

I checked and still did not see where it could fit, and even doing an online search for that part I have not yet been able to find it.

At least I know it likely is not a part that would seriously affect anything.