Ferris is2000 Breaking belt

seedguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
This mower is only a few years old and breaks the deck belt in half. at least 1 and this year just broke the 3rd. Factory Kevlar belt, $180 belt.
Deck levels front to back, side to side and all pulley's are good.
Any idea's are welcome.
Dealer says : never seen before !

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
What are you mowing?

seedguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nothing other than the grass of my lawn. No abuse here

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

OK, broke is not particularly useful here.
There are dozens of ways for belts to brake.
What we need to see is a photo of the broken belt.
And in particular the broken end from the side , top and end on.

The break will tell you how the belt failed and from that we can then look at working out why.
No guessing no "favourite problems" strait out observation and evaluation.

The dealer should have protofolio of belt failure photos from their belt suppliers.
Telling you "they don't normally do that sir" is a bit on the lame side.

Knew I had a link to it some where.
This poster is usually hanging on every mower workshop wall
http://info.gates.com/rs/gatescorp/images/SF_Belt_Failure_Posters.pdf

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Nothing other than the grass of my lawn. No abuse here

Not looking for abuse. Looking for a reason. If I remember someone on here was having problems with little sticks and gumballs. I personally had a drive belt break because of a cattail. I have also heard of grass build up and creating enough heat to cause failure but he smelled grass burning and ignored it. Most likely in your situation with 3 belts this year I would say pulley or idler pulley is bent or bearing bad. Picture sure would be nice though. Guessing is all that can be done with out one.

imler1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Be sure that the engine RPMs are maximum whenever you engage or disengage the mower blades. The Ferris dealer advised me of this whenever I broke my second belt. Since I now always have the engine at full throttle when engaging or disengaging the blades, I have not had a belt brake for 3 years.
The dealer advised me that this information came to him from the manufacturer.

vinces landscaping

Forum Newbie
Threads
had same problem with little help from dealer,problem was belts rubbing against itself,i had to find a belt that was 2'' shorter and problem was fixed

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Briggs put out an excellent belt damage guide
You can download it for free from here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1yZ3NQOGpsRGhjODg/view?pli=1
From that you should be able to work out why it is breaking from there you then have to get under the mower and find the where
Rocks can put little nicks in the pulleys that when the conditions are right put little nicks in the belt.
Just like stretched plastic tape will snap when you bite it a belt under load, particularly the shock load when starting the blades can snap from a tiny nick that would not do the same when the belt was spinning normally.

Ardy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Guys I just joined. I live on a rough acreage, it was cattle paddocks before I built. Broke at least 3 belts when I first started on this acreage. I had a similar problem on my previous property and a guy suggested that I use 'brown belts'.

I was reluctant to use these on the Ferris because I read that you have to use the correct belts with a Ferris but stuck one on just to see and have not had the problem since. Not sure what these are called in the USA but they are commercial belts I think. BTW they are less than half the price of a Ferris belt.